Setting Download QOS to 100mbps using ACC

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

flashfir

Setting Download QOS to 100mbps using ACC

Post by flashfir »

Just trying to understand how QoS works as mine works pretty well, just tweaking and optimizing here:

Is there any issue with doing this? I've been setting it at 100mbps so that I don't lose any possible bandwidth since Cox in Orange County gives a powerboost of sorts and there's no point in being accurate on the download speed since ACC dynamically controls for latency?

Testmy.net Speed Results

QoS Setting for Download Firewall

Upload however, does matter right? Meaning you will have to shave off some capacity to the lowest speed you have @ any given pointin time, right?

Screenshot of my settings. My test is 8.7mbps or 1.09mb/s at the lowest it seems so my optimal setting would be 8700 or something very close to that? Any higher and I'd possibly get latency? Or would ACC mitigate that?

Lantis

Re: Setting Download QOS to 100mbps using ACC

Post by Lantis »

ACC only works in the down direction so upload needs to be accurate.

ACC only limits down to 15% of max speed, so 15mbps in your falsified case. If this isn't sufficient to get your link under control, then you will run into problems.

I would say there's nil advantage in lying to the QoS settings.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

flashfir

Post by flashfir »

Lantis wrote:ACC only works in the down direction so upload needs to be accurate.

ACC only limits down to 15% of max speed, so 15mbps in your falsified case. If this isn't sufficient to get your link under control, then you will run into problems.

I would say there's nil advantage in lying to the QoS settings.
Ooooh! 15% of max only! Where has this been documented? I missed it. So that means this is useless, since our connection tops out @ ~8.2mb/s (65.57mbps) according to TestMy.net

(What're your thoughts on TestMy.Net's assertions that flash based speed tests are trash? And their methodology is "truly" the most objective?)

Appreciate your nuance, that upload speeds need to be accurate, and the download ones have 15% leeway of overestimating... Thanks for the quick reply. Gargoyle is truly the best in terms of support/ GUI/ QoS control for home users... I've been an evangelist of sorts whenever people mention home routers in my context (I'm mid 20's living in SoCal). Much appreciated :D

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Sorry I might have worded that poorly.
It adjusts between 15-100% of your set speed. So between 15-100mbps

If your connection is particularly saturated, or your ISP is struggling to provide throughput, 15mbps may not be enough of a limit to bring it back under control. But QOS won't go any lower.
If you set it to say 70, then it will adjust between 10.5-70mbps.
That's an extra 4.5mbps of control resolution. So you do yourself no favours.

Flash tests are often multi connection so they can mask congestion issues on a single pipe.

EDIT:
This is documented here https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=qos
And the true value is 12.5%, not 15% sorry
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

flashfir

Post by flashfir »

Lantis wrote:Sorry I might have worded that poorly.
It adjusts between 15-100% of your set speed. So between 15-100mbps

If your connection is particularly saturated, or your ISP is struggling to provide throughput, 15mbps may not be enough of a limit to bring it back under control. But QOS won't go any lower.
If you set it to say 70, then it will adjust between 10.5-70mbps.
That's an extra 4.5mbps of control resolution. So you do yourself no favours.

Flash tests are often multi connection so they can mask congestion issues on a single pipe.

EDIT:
This is documented here https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=qos
And the true value is 12.5%, not 15% sorry

Wow awesome pants. My speed never dips below 30mbps so I CAN put 100mbps then pretty safely then heh :P

Wealth of knowledge. What're the top 2 or 3 ways we can support you to ensure that this forum doesn't disappear and the knowledge that's on it, if in worst case scenario, Gargoyle dies? :lol: :D

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

No worries :)

Stick around and share your knowledge. If you have any coding ability, jump on the Git and have a go at tackling some bugs.
If you have ideas, post them up.

I'll keep making mods as long as I still find it useful, which I do :)