Reverse VPN with Gargoyle

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

Reverse VPN with Gargoyle

Post by ispyisail »

Hi all

After half a day of trying still I finally got OpenVPN to work in reverse.

The advantage of this is you can poke a hole in a firewall that you can't control.

There are a few tricks

1. OpenVPN is unstable if you don't set it up perfect the first time. e.g. if you refresh the browser before the keys are made it look like it working but its not. FAILSAFE RESET every time. (Once its set up it a solid connection)

2. This config works. but note you need to select "each client need its own config". Extra setting are displayed when selected.

3. This is important "SUBNET BEHIND CLIENT" This is the LAN behind the client router.

Code: Select all

LAN (server) --OpenVPN Server -- Internet --OpenVPN Client -- LAN (client) 

ispyisail

Re: Reverse VPN with Gargoyle

Post by ispyisail »

What to access files at work but you have no access to the firewall. Reverse OpenVPN is for you.

Get two Gargoyle routers and set them up.

I haven't tried but I also suspect you could use it to bypass work web filters and just surf the web as if you were at home.

The possibilities are endless.

I suspect this will only work in small workplaces as I imagine corporates have all ready though of this.

mrpink57

Post by mrpink57 »

Ideally I'd like to set something like this up to show one device on my network it is connection in another location (to view PSVUE). Would this be possible?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

mrpink57 wrote:Ideally I'd like to set something like this up to show one device on my network it is connection in another location (to view PSVUE). Would this be possible?
I'm not sure what you trying to do?

This kind of set up is good for IP connections. Many devices can be connected using IP address.

e.g. Using my web browser I can connect to a remote NVR using https://192.168.5.10

I never had much luck connecting via DNS through OpenVPN on a local network.

e.g. https://local.NVR

karljboe

Post by karljboe »

i have a bit of a pickle in this same category. i have a gargoyle router running openvpn as shown above and i have multiple clients connected to it. all my clients have identical subnet on the lan side, so i can not use the route lan function. what i want to use is the port forwarding instead, that way i can access the spcific devises on the lan side by adressing my request to the vpn client:port. unfortunatley, the firmware does not add the neccesaru rules in iptables for doing so. and to be honest, im not that good with iptables. does anyone here know what rules i need to add and how to store it? im running tp-link archers

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »