No external connections possible

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Bedlore

No external connections possible

Post by Bedlore »

I'm using a bridged 4G modem (Dovado Tiny) to Gargoyle. Everything is working fine internally except I am unable to make any external incoming connections which is critical for me. I have port forward to several devices and enabled remote access on gargoyle. I can't even ping the ip externally

Gargoyle lists its WAN IP Address as:
WAN IP Address:10.134.251.96
WAN Netmask:255.255.255.192

Using whatismyip.com and the gargoyle dyndns report tool it identifies my ip as 49.199.27.237. Neither work externally. Although if visit http://10.134.251.96 from interally it correctly port maps to an internal server.

Also, is it normal in bridge mode to no longer be able to contact the modem internally? eg. I assigned 192.168.1.254 to my modem but in bridge mode I can not see anything on this address?

Please help me resolve this, its the last major item I need to resolve.

Lantis

Re: No external connections possible

Post by Lantis »

When you say you have used bridged the modem, i assume you are connecting via PPPoE?
If you left DHCP on the modem, then gargoyle will automatically set up a routing scheme so that you can continue to access the modem at its address. If you didn't leave DHCP on, then it will not do this automatically.

due to the conflicting WAN IP/whatsmyip reports, i'd say you are behind several layers of NAT, and this may be why you are having trouble accessing your internal network externally.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Bedlore

Post by Bedlore »

Thanks Lantis, I wasn't sure what to connect using, I tried PPPoE but it forces me to put a username and password which my provider does not use. I then tried DHCP (static wire) and it worked so I thought I had it correct. Should I be using PPPoE even for 3/4G providers and if so what can I do about the blank username/password issue?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

DHCP is correct in this case.
But i think the terminology of "bridge mode" is incorrect. Sounds like your 4G modem is in full operation and treating gargoyle like a normal client.

In this configuration, any remote access attempts are going to try and go to the modem first. You probably need to forward everything to gargoyle. The easiest way to do this is with DMZ if the modem has that function.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.