TPLink 1043ND slow DL Speeds

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

kevin g.

TPLink 1043ND slow DL Speeds

Post by kevin g. »

Hello Everyone,

I have been running 1.6.2 for a few years on my TPLINK 1043ND gigabit router, and it has been incredibly stable. Previously, my wireless (stock firmware) would have to be reset every day, as it would lose connection. Gargoyle has been a Godsend.
In that time my ISP (Time Warner) has provided 20 mbp/s, as that is what my package was for. ... I have had several issues with their service, but they have never offered anything to help. My wife works from home, and as long as I can keep the network stable, I am keeping her happy.
Recently, they have been bought out, and have offered an "upgrade" to 100 mbp/s with "no extra cost, or obligation". I have tested several times since then, and I have still only been getting a consistent 20 down. I could get some peaks at 30, and rarely 40...but nothing close to 100

I called them, and they of course, tried to solve it over the phone. There was no change, so the offered to send a tech. He was here for over two hours yesterday, and after adding/changing several things on my service, I had no connection at all. He tried two new routers, the last of which was an Arris SB6183, still did not connect to their service. He ended up leaving, stating that he would return later in the day. They literally left me hanging. (THAT is a whole different issue).

After he left, I messed around with the setup and the 6183, and was able to get it to connect. For testing purposes, I had my laptop connected direct to their modem, and was able to get the advertised 118 mbp/s down. I was amazed.
Adding my network back in to the mix, back down to 20...both wireless, and wired. I have my xbox one in the DMZ, and wired directly to the router, and am getting mid forties.
Is there any way to determine where the bottleneck is happening? 100 down would be great, but not a necessity...but I'd really like to get as close as possible. I really can't spend 200 bucks on an Archer or AC router. I do have a Belkin (re-branded ASUS) dual band, but it doesn't have any antennae, so I haven't had much faith in the coverage wirelessly.

Thanks in advance.

tapper

Re: TPLink 1043ND slow DL Speeds

Post by tapper »

I do not take any responsibility for what you do to your router!
If you do not want a possible brick please do not read or attempt the following on your router!

Pleas!
I do not take any responsibility for what you do to your router!
If you do not want a possible brick please do not read or attempt the following on your router!

With that out of the way,! This overclock mite help you get a litel more speed from your router. the best way wood be to upgrade to a router with a faster CPU but as you say you cant pay for a AC model then... I have dun this mod on a wdr3600 and it is still up and running 18 months later. If you do this mod you will not get the 118 meg down not with this router and Gargoyle sorry!

Be fore you do this you could flash to a bare bones Openwrt which will run a bit faster than Gargoyle because all the bells and wisels that Gargoyle has over openwrt take up some small amount of CPU power.
If you do go through with the overclock, after step 10.
10) Login to TP-Link Interface and flash it back to OpenWRT using OpenWRT Factory Image
You can flash straight to Gargoyle instead of going to openwrt the overclock will stay.

Note This is for a wr1043nd v1
https://aspiregemstone.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... 043nd.html
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

kevin g.

Post by kevin g. »

So basically it is the limitation of the router itself? It is a gigabit router, does that not translate to the higher speeds? What would be best that I can expect from this router?

That would mean that I will not get better speeds if I add the Belkin/ASUS in it's place?

An Archer or an AC router is the only way to realize these speeds for my LAN?
Thanks again...

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Gigabit is the port negotiation speed.
NAT throughput is the important factor and in third party firmware this is directly affected by CPU speed and load.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

kevin g.

Post by kevin g. »

Thanks for all the help. I get it now...you're paying for the better CPU on today's routers.

Again, what is the best speed I can expect from this unit?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

400MHz cpu... at a guess, 40mbps max? I think the rule is divide by 10 but i can't remember.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

raz

Post by raz »

Stock firmware uses proprietary code to reach 1 Gbps with custom hardware.

Open firmware does not. It uses the CPU. Thus it is slower than stock.

More info: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/20441

kevin g.

Post by kevin g. »

Thanks for the heads up...working on a solution now...