I'm installed but can't connect to WiFi modem

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Robster

I'm installed but can't connect to WiFi modem

Post by Robster »

Hi all,

I'm not good with networking so it's baby steps for me.

I have my main modem/router. It's a Netgear DGND3700V2.
I have my Gargoyle router. It's a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND.

I've successfully installed Gargoyle onto the TP-Link. I can login to 192.168.1.1.

Currently this is the configuration:
I'm plugged into TP-Link with a LAN cable.
TP-Link is plugged into the Netgear with a LAN cable.

So far so good.

What I want now is:
1- have the TP-Link talk to the Netgear via the WiFi signal of the Netgear (no LAN cable)
2- connect to the TP-Link via Wifi. (currently it says WiFi is turned off)

Does anyone have any step by step links to help me achieve 1 and 2 above?

I've set the Connection > Basic to Wireless Bridge/Repeater and tried to figure out the settings below but am at a loss.

Again, my networking skills are limited but I'm happy to have got this far, now I just need make the final steps to get this system live in my house.

Thanks so much.

Rob

nworbnhoj

Re: I'm installed but can't connect to WiFi modem

Post by nworbnhoj »

You may not want Wireless Bridge mode. Many of Gargoyles unique features will be inactive in such as setup. Gargoyle works best as the primary Internet Gateway device. What are you trying to achieve?
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

Robster

Post by Robster »

Hi and thanks for the reply.

As I say I'm not good with networking but really need the tools Gargoyle offers so am working through this.

I can't have the Wireless Router (with Gargoyle) physically attached to the modem due to logistical reasons.

Due to this I need the Wireless Router to retrieve the internet over WiFi from the modem.

Currently they're attached in an ad hoc fashion via a network cable whilst I set it up, but I need them to talk wirelessly.

In terms of what I want from Gargoyle, I want to be able to:
- Restrict which devices can access the internet and see which ones have connected if password is known (children telling friends their passwords)
- Restrict which addresses specific devices can visit (only allow facebook on weekends / if jobs are done / etc)
- Turn on and off connectivity to certain devices based on certain times of day (late night, not allowed for example)

I hope that info helps. Thanks so much.... Rob

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

This can be achieved if all of the devices that you want to control connect thru the Gargoyle router (wired or wifi) only

To connect to the modem wifi
Gargoyle - Connection - Basic - Internet/WAN - Connect via: DHCP (Wireless)

Robster

Post by Robster »

Thanks for the reply, it's really appreciated.

I've logged in again finally so can get started on this again (my other thread on being unable to connect).

I've attached a screenshot to show the settings that I had when I was last testing getting this working. I've hit the SCAN button again and this time it says it can't find any network after scanning, so the Swift2G that you see is from when it used to work.

I should note that it's not broadcasting its wifi signal at present (though it used to be in the past). Also, when I am plugged into the TPLink via a network cable my internet just stops working even though I'm also connected to my modem via WiFi. I'm not sure if that info helps in any way?

What should I do at this point to make it work as described above? I'm sorry to ask, I wish I knew but I'm just too new at networking.

Thanks a tonne. Rob

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

Given the tortuous path that you have taken - I would recommend re-flashing the Gargoyle image (sysupgrade) and starting completely from scratch.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Have you identified for us which version you have flashed?
The "scan" function is broken in 1.9.0 on your device. You'll want the latest 1.9.X.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Robster

Post by Robster »

sigh... I flashed with the latest sysupgrade bin and now I can't telnet, ping or anything to the router.

I'm going to need an emotional break on this one and continue again tomorrow. Heartbreaking stuff... :roll:

Thanks guys! I'll go hard on this tomorrow.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Rest assured that its very unlikely to be dead. Failsafe is a marvelous thing.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Robster

Post by Robster »

Hi all, a long delay in response here as I lost motivation on this. It's hard to give up a lot of time to work through this slowly as every step for me is a learning experience and each time I have to ask here, wait for a response etc. This is no "poor me" post, but simply explaining why the delay.

I really do need to get this up and running though and am wondering if anyone would consider a quick chat on skype or similar to help step me through the recovery of the modem and the proper setup as well?

I'm willing to pay a fair amount to do this. I hope this is an acceptable thing to ask here?

I'm located in Australia if that makes any difference to people's timezones and whatnot.