Archer C7 5ghz poor connect speeds

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

wallythacker

Archer C7 5ghz poor connect speeds

Post by wallythacker »

I flashed my new Archer C7 with 1.8.0 and after reboot and configuration all was working well. I use 5ghz exclusively and leave the 2.4ghz band for the family. Prior to flashing my Intel AC7260 equipped netbook would always connect to the Tplink stock firmware at 867mbps. Always.

Things seemed a little slow moving files around so I checked my connect speed and it was only 300mbps. I rebooted everything and tried connecting on either band. 300mbps was the best I could get on either band.

I powered up my WDR-4300 and connected at 450mbps. So I ruled out my end as being the problem. I flashed my C7 back to TPlink firmware and connected on 5ghz at 867mbps right away. I did a bit of googling and maybe the 5ghz module for the C7 isn't up to the job?

Is there a fix or have I botched something ?

I hoped I've made this clear enough.

TL;DR

Can't connect my 7260AC Intel system to C7/1.8.0 any faster than 300mbps.

Lantis

Re: Archer C7 5ghz poor connect speeds

Post by Lantis »

My first thought is that you haven't enabled AC speeds.
Which you will have to manually by editing the /etc/config/wireless

Please see the openwrt wiki if you are stuck. Or reply here.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

wallythacker

Post by wallythacker »

I read the wiki and gather I need to make an entry for a device to turn on the ac radio?

I've never edited a Linux configuration file in my life.

I'm wondering, is there a chance I might need to edit other configuration files for other features? I haven't checked out all the features of my C7 to see what's working and what isn't.

thanks

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

That's ok mate, it's not as hard as it sounds.
The rest of the config should be fine, it's only the wireless AC part that isn't supported in the interface.

If you can get familiar with logging into your router via SSH so we can get a command line access, then all you need to do is:
uci show wireless

This will spit out a lot of stuff back at you, you're looking to identify which "radio" is the 5GHz. Most of them is "radio1", but I have a funny feeling that the archers have it on "radio0". You can identify this by spotting which radio has its "mode" set to "11a" or "11an". Once you have identified this:

uci set wireless.radioX.htmode=VHT80
uci set wireless.radioX.channel=XYZ
uci commit wireless
wifi

Where "radioX" will be the radio which is 5ghz, either radio0 or radio1.
Where "XYZ" will be the channel you want to use. With 80MHz channel width you can only use channel 36 or 149.
uci commit wireless saves the settings you have made
wifi reboots the wifi and tells it to look for changes in configuration.

After you've done all of this, the Connection->Basic page will no longer reflect the settings you've made, and any changes you make there will mean you need to do all of this again. I promise there is an update coming to address this lol. Should be done by the end of next week.

If you are unsure which radio to use, just post back the output of "uci show wireless" and I should be able to assist.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

This is more or less what the final interface will look like. As you can see you can enable 802.11AC and you can select 80MHz channel width.
And this is proof that you can associate with Gargoyle at AC speeds.
My fathers iPad is the fastest device in the building by a long shot lol.

wallythacker

Post by wallythacker »

Terrific information.

I'll give it a go later today and post back my results.

Cheers

ETA:

Should I use the webui first in connection to set my ssids and whatnot, save that lot, then ssh and do my command lines?

tapper

Post by tapper »

wallythacker wrote:Terrific information.

I'll give it a go later today and post back my results.

Cheers

ETA:

Should I use the webui first in connection to set my ssids and whatnot, save that lot, then ssh and do my command lines?
Yes mate that will work best as any changes in the interface will undo your AC settings.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

fattyboom

Post by fattyboom »

HI

Also have a Archer C7. I just flashed one of them to Gargoyle and set it up as the router/gateway for my network via PPPOE to a draytek DV130.

I have followed your instructions and changed the setting to 80Mhz channel 149 for my 5ghz. My Asus Zenbook now connects at 887mbit/s .. woohoo.. kind of.. woohoo

I have done some testing vs the stock unit and even though my zenbook and sony vaio both connect at 887mbps to both archers.
I get much faster speeds for file transfers from the stock. All quotas/QOS and restrictions are off. Transfers from LAN PC with SSD.

Gargoyle, connects at 887 but max transfer is around 300mbps

Acher C7 v2 3.13.34 = file transfer around 650mbs

Acher C7 v2 Gargoye 1.9.0 = file transfer around 300mbs

1) I have the guest network setup on my gargoyle. - will that be an issue. (no other devices are connected via wifi)

2) Channel 149 for gargoyle and channel 40 on stock firmware(Auto)

Both units in same room for testing.

Any help the unleash the full speed of the router would be appreciated
All uplinks at 1gbps

is it an issue related to hardware NAT ?
Draytek DV130 PPPOE Passthough
2x Acher C7 V2 - 1x gargoyle 1.9.0 (router) and 1x stock firmware (WiFi AP)
1x UniFi Pro

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The guest network may halve the speed but I'm not sure. It kind of makes sense but if no one is connected maybe it wouldn't... Not sure. Try it without?

There is also some slight driver differences between stock and openwrt. It's pretty common.
If you're feeling adventurous, you could try Openwrt and compare speeds as well!

tapper

Post by tapper »

From what I can see on the change log the next build of 1.9 will have ac speeds built in to the gui. Wen it's ready it will be put up for testing.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260