LAN freezes

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

taxrebel

LAN freezes

Post by taxrebel »

I am using a TP-Link WR741ND (running Gargoyle) behind a Billion 7800N modem. Pretty much everything is disabled on the Billion and a DMZ is configured to forward all traffic to the router on a WAN subnet of 192.168.0.x. Main LAN subnet is 192.168.1.x

This works OK most of the time but periodically (once or twice a day) the LAN gets "stuck" and it becomes impossible for any of the PC's to communicate. They can't even ping each other using IP addresses. When this happens all 4 LAN activity lights flash regularly together about every 1/2 second. (Normally they flash independently at irregular intervals). The odd thing is the router is not hung. If I plug in to the modem I can login to the web interface via the WAN port. Everything appears normal. Memory, number of connections and CPU load are all low. The status menu still shows the connected hosts. There's just no traffic. If I reboot it it works fine again - for a few hours.

I've installed the latest firmware so I'm a bit lost what to try next. Wireless and QoS are both disabled, so its not heavily loaded. Any ideas?

tapper

Re: LAN freezes

Post by tapper »

Hi there are you running 1.8 if so there is a update here to a test of 1.9
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =14&t=7805
It's quite stable!

In fact that router has just 4mb of flash i think so 1.9 mite not be so good for you. You will have to wate for some one who nos to chime in.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

uysiquebien

Post by uysiquebien »

This happens to me pretty often, and I can reproduce it by doing something in a videogame. You could try to do:

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up

And see if it's fixed. That's how I solve it, but obviously I need to do that from a machine that is connected wirelessly.

lightning

Post by lightning »

I just wanted to confirm this problem. I also use a TP-Link WR741ND v4 with Gargoyle 1.8.1 and noticed that sometimes not just the LAN but also the WLAN freezes. I use the router as a repeater with no LAN connection at all. When the router freezes, the data transfer stops while the WLAN signal is sill ok and showing a 54Mbit connection.

If anyone has found a fix for this, please post it here. Thanks

danymarc

Post by danymarc »

taxrebel wrote:When this happens all 4 LAN activity lights flash regularly together about every 1/2 second. (Normally they flash independently at irregular intervals)
I seen this in OpenWrt AA12.09, 741 Ver. 4.XX set as router, BB had been released so I Sysupgraded to it, never seen this in BB, them I Sysupgraded to Gargoyle, 1.71 then 1.8, I use This scenario https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... ario-modem
Never seen the lights behavior again

uiotewre

Post by uiotewre »

I suggest experimenting with different WiFi channels if you're having this problem...

It seems to solve it for me on my DIR-615 C1.

northon

Post by northon »

i have the same problem with a TP-Link TL-WR941N/ND v4 running at 1.8.1 version... there's a solution?