Using gargoyle as AP when no internet is available

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

atpdave

Using gargoyle as AP when no internet is available

Post by atpdave »

I have a TP-Link TL-WR741ND and I want to use it in what might be considered an unusual situation. We have a motorhome and we travel from place to place. At each location we find various wifi hotspots that we connect to, but often they are weak and our laptops have trouble connecting.

So, I have this TP-Link with a nice powerful antenna. I can configure it as an AP with "Gateway (Default)", connected via DHCP (Wireless). Then, all my laptops and cell phones can simply connect to my AP, and they are then forwarded out to the internet.

Now the problem is this: if I'm in a place where the gargoyle isn't connected to a wifi at all, none of my clients can connect (by wifi) to the gargoyle device. It doesn't broadcast its SSID and none of the devices can see it. My only option is to first connect by ethernet, then load up the gargyle management page, go to connection, click on "Scan" and find a local wifi, then connect. Once I do that, all the wireless devices suddenly can see and connect to the gargoyle.

So is that the limitation? I'd really like to be able to connect by wifi to this gargoyle even if it itself isn't online, so that I can scan and join whatever is the nearest wifi hotspot. Ideally, we'd have the device working even if there are no wifi spots near, just for the benefit of running a local area network in our motorhome.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone has.