Ver 1.7 Channel Width of 40MHz @ 5GHz for Wireless N

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

griftopia

Ver 1.7 Channel Width of 40MHz @ 5GHz for Wireless N

Post by griftopia »

Thought I would start a separate thread. On my router, I have selected N+A. I'm not able to set Channel width to either of the 40 Mhz options. When I change and save, it takes a while then comes back with 20 Mhz. This I am quite sure is preventing me from achieving highest speed available with my router which is 450 Mbps.

Here's excerpt from Gargoyle documentation;

Channel Width

This option is only visible on wireless N routers. It specifies whether to use the narrower 20MHz channels or wider 40MHz channels. In order to get maximum throughput you will need to use wider channel width, but this can result in conflicts/interference if there are a lot of wireless networks in your area. It is best to leave this setting at 20MHz if there are a lot of other wireless networks in your area, but if no other networks are around 40MHz will provide faster wireless speeds.

Can anyone please confirm they have been able to set either of the two 40 Mhz channel width settings. I'm using 1.7 version, but I had the same issue with 1.6 as well.
ISP Provided Router [Irrelevant]
WD MyNetN750 Client Bridge - Garygoyle @ 5.0Ghz Yes !!!

ispyisail

Re: Ver 1.7 Channel Width of 40MHz @ 5GHz for Wireless N

Post by ispyisail »

griftopia

Post by griftopia »

Yes, I think that's the one I tried. I unzipped the 7z file and picked it up. Here's the filename I used

gargoyle_1.7.x-ar71xx-generic-mynet-n750-squashfs-sysupgrade

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

You should leave a small note in that thread linking to this detailed thread

Im not sure Eric see's every thread but I'm certain he looks at that thread

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi again, i did a bit of thinking about this and this mite help.

http://luci.subsignal.org/~jow/reghack/
http://euer.krebsco.de/openwrt-reghack.html
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/faq/faq.wireless

I wish the Wireless configuration page was more clear! I find it a bit hard to understand. After patching your TX power will go up to 30 on the 5 GHZ radio.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

griftopia

Post by griftopia »

Hey tapper,

I think I need to brush up on my greek but I will try :D
More seriously, I'm confused where the wireless tweaking is happening - at the gargoyle or at the client wireless card.

In any case, I will continue to try things. However, I think it is quite obvious something is not right with either the firmware or the hardware itself which may be less than ideal for the 40 Mhz setting for channel width to not stick. After all openwrt clearly says in Bridge mode it will not support Atheros devices. I'm assuming this is because challenges in hardware. I am assuming Gargoyle is based on openwrt so maybe I'm out of luck with my hardware. Hoping that's not the case of course and my problem can be solved by firmware.

griftopia

Post by griftopia »

ispyisail wrote:You should leave a small note in that thread linking to this detailed thread

Im not sure Eric see's every thread but I'm certain he looks at that thread
I did that. Question - are you admin for the forums? Maybe *this* thread can be move to the "Wireless Issues" forum to get more attention?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

@griftopia

Can you post some screen shots of the problem

griftopia

Post by griftopia »

Err...I could, but not sure how it will help.

When I select either of the 40Mhz options for channel width and save, when UI renders back it says 20Mhz. Not sure how I can convey this using screen shot.

I just want someone to tell me if they have been able to get either of the two 40 Mhz settings to stick on the WD MyNet N750. FWIW, I will provide screenshot of my configuration later...I'm not at home right now.

Some side question I've been wanting to ask, but didn't was because I didn't want to pollute the conversation. First, like I said on another thread, why is there no "Auto" options for Channel and Channel Width. Second, why have two 40Mhz settings. We should only have 20Mhz, or 20-40Mhz, or 40Mhz. I do not understand the "below" and "above" settings for 40Mhz. I surmize it is for a small band above or below, but not sure what they mean exactly since not seen them in any firmware.

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi this mite help:
An explanation of 802.11n 40 MHz channels and their capabilities and limitations
http://www.connect802.com/80211n_channels.htm
Or this:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless ... wi-fi-band

I know that second one is talking about AC but it's still 5GHZ and most of the things they say still apply.

The thing about the 40MHz (2nd chan. below) Menes that if you set your
channel to 6 then it will bond channel 6 and channel 3. If you set your channel to 6 and choose 40MHz (2nd chan. above)
then it will bond channel 6 and channel 8. At least that is how i understand it to be.

That is for 2.4 GHZ for 5 GHZ the same thing gos on!
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260