Unable to connect to 2nd wireless AP joined to main router

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

gper

Unable to connect to 2nd wireless AP joined to main router

Post by gper »

Scoured the boards for a solution to my Gargoyle-specific problem, but no luck, so here is the situation:

Router 1:
TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v2 running Gargoyle 1.6.2
Device Configuration: Gateway
WAN IP Address (Current IP):192.168.1.65
WAN Netmask: 255.255.255.0
WAN Gateway IP: 192.168.1.254
WAN DNS Server(s): 192.168.1.254
----
LAN IP Address (Router IP): 192.168.0.1
LAN Netmask (Subnet Mask): 255.255.255.0
----
Wireless Mode: Access Point (AP)
Wireless Channel: 11
Name of SSID: ABC
LAN DHCP Server Enabled
DHCP range: 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.249

ROUTER 1 is connected to ROUTER 2 via a 50-ft ethernet cable, from LAN port 1 to LAN port 1.

Router 2:
TP-Link TL-WR941N/ND v2 running Gargoyle 1.6.2
Device Configuration: Gateway
Internet / WAN: Connect Via: Disabled <<--SEE CHOICES MENTIONED BELOW
----
LAN IP Address (Router IP): 192.168.0.2
LAN Netmask (Subnet Mask): 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers: Custom DNS Servers (added: 192.168.0.1)
----
Wireless Mode: Access Point
Wireless Channel: 6
Name of SSID: ABC-2
----
LAN DHCP Server NOT enabled

Problem: I cannot connect any wireless device (phone, iPad, laptop) to the Router 2's SSID ("ABC-2"). I can see it, but when I try to connect, it just says "Obtaining IP address..." and then times out.

The plan here is to extend strong wireless coverage to an area of the house that needs it. I have ensured all the basics are done (LAN to LAN port connection, disabled DHCP on Router 2, etc). I have always been able to connect fine to Router 1 with the above settings. All I am doing is adding a 2nd wireless AP.

I have tried every combination of settings that I can think of. I believe the mistake may be in the Internet / WAN section of the configuration screen on Router 2. The choices for "Connect Via" are:
DHCP (wired)
PPoE (wired)
Static IP (wired)
DHCP (wireless)
Static IP (wireless)
Disabled

Help please!

griftopia

Re: Unable to connect to 2nd wireless AP joined to main rout

Post by griftopia »

Trying to follow what you want to do. This looks very much like my setup but I'm not using Gargoyle for this part of the network. Anyways, it should not matter

Have you tried keeping both routers on same subnet? I think that's how you want things to work at the beginning to rule out other issues.

Please try this.
First Router @ 192.168.1.1 (u like 192.168.1.254...err okay). DHCP enabled. If possible, have DHCP range configured from 192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.254. Wireless OFF (since that's why you want the second router right?)

Second Router @ 192.168.1.2 (I like this so I know all of my client devices will have IPs beginning with 192.168.1.3). The gateway for this router is the IP of the First router, i.e. 192.168.1.1 (or 254 for you). DHCP OFF. Wireless ON, with security, etc. setup.

Please try this and confirm it works first. Then...

If you really want your Second Router for farm out IPs on a different subnet for "security" or because you don't care about having certain client devices not having access to your primary network (because you couldn't if you have a separate subnet), you can do that. Remember, though the gateway for the Second Router should still say 192.168.1.1. AND in this case DHCP on Second Router will need to stay ON for its own subnet.

Hope I understood and helped with your question.

Best.
ISP Provided Router [Irrelevant]
WD MyNetN750 Client Bridge - Garygoyle @ 5.0Ghz Yes !!!

gper

Post by gper »

Thanks for your answer. To clarify what I want to do...

I want to extend strong wireless coverage to an area of the house that needs it. This means enabling wireless from both Access Points. DHCP will be (ideally) handled entirely by the main router (Router 1).

This is simple to do with Apple Airport Routers (there is an option with zero configuration with some catchy phrase, like "wireless roaming"). I am 90% sure it is possible with these Gargoyle Routers.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You want wireless roaming?

Connect lan port of router 1 to WAN of router 2.
Set connection type to DHCP wired.

Set the router 2 IP address in the same subnet but outside your DHCP pool (or set it static in router 1).

Disable DHCP and NAT on router 2.
Enable wireless.
Set SSID, channel and password to exactly the same on both routers.

The option on airport routers you refer to is "bridge", and it does everything we just described I.e. Disabling DHCP and NAT.

Try this and get back to me.

EDIT: lol sorry I replied without even reading your original post. Looks like you've got everything right except you need to be connected to the WAN port of router 2 and set to DHCP wired.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

gper

Post by gper »

Thanks griftopia and Landis.

I tried the setup recommended by Landis, with the exception of "Set SSID, channel and password to exactly the same on both routers." Instead, I set the SSID of Router 2 to be something different (ABC-2) as a means of testing which Access Point I was connecting to.

With the set up recommended by Landis (using WAN output of Router 2), I still got the "Obtaining IP address..." but never any connection.

There is only one more thing that I can think might help here. I am an AT&T Uverse customer. Their modem router unit that feeds into Router 1 has assigned Router 1 the WAN IP Address of 192.168.1.65. Could that be someone how affecting the ability for Router 2's wireless clients to obtain an IP address?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

on re-reading your situation, i actually think your first setup was correct, but can't pinpoint why it doesn't work. I was perhaps thinking that your router 2's set IP address is fighting the DHCP pool on router 1. What happens if you return to your original setup, and set a static IP for router 2 of 192.168.0.2.

I'm out of ideas though i'm sorry.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

XmaD

Post by XmaD »

Hi there,

I think you should trie to setup the second router connection->basic->local network/LAN to:

Router IP: 192.168.0.1 (the Router 1 IP)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

if you have assigned to the Router 2 a static IP in both it's Internet/WAN page and in the first router's connection->static IPs page.
I believe that your clients were trying to get an ip from the router where the DHCP where disabled so they didn't get it.