repeater bridge channel hopping

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

jblues

repeater bridge channel hopping

Post by jblues »

I've been running Gargoyle 1.5.10 on TP-LINK hardware in repeater bridge mode. Its been very stable so far.

Yesterday I upgraded to the latest version. Until now I've had the source access point locked to a single channel and matched that channel in Gargoyle. . now I'm letting this source access point channel hop if it wants to. Is this OK? When I originally installed Gargoyle I think I saw some info suggesting that channels should match up, but I can't see anything to suggest this now.

griftopia

Re: repeater bridge channel hopping

Post by griftopia »

This is a good question. I find Gargoyle options for Wireless are a little inadequate.

On the AP, we should WANT to keep Channel floating. Let AP and Bridge duke it out among themselves compensating for all interference around them to use the one that performs optimally.

By "float" I assume you have set Channel to "Auto" on the AP. So have I. Now for the Bridge in Gargoyle, there is no "Auto" setting. You have to select something like 36 (if you are using Wireless N). "Auto" options are generally absent in Gargoyle which makes it important for setup to be perfect, but worse if environment changes, speed falters.

I'm having similar issue with Channel width - again no "Auto" setting. So to answer your question, "yes, it should be okay", except you will need to try it and it can be unpredictable, unless "Auto" options are added for Gargoyle. Until they are, we don't really now it is supported and/or whether it will yield optimal speeds.
ISP Provided Router [Irrelevant]
WD MyNetN750 Client Bridge - Garygoyle @ 5.0Ghz Yes !!!