DHCP server not using configured IP range

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Shawboy78

DHCP server not using configured IP range

Post by Shawboy78 »

Hey,

New to Gargoyle. It seems pretty cool!

Router: WNDR3700 v2
Router LAN IP: 192.168.2.1
LAN subnet mask: 255.255.252.0

I have the DHCP server enabled for the LAN. It shows that the IP address range is 192.168.2.100 - 192.168.2.249.

Cool, this is what I want. But the IPs that it's distributing appear to be in the 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.249 range. Things are working, but I'm not getting the expected IP range.

Is this a known bug? Is there something else going on that I'm not understanding? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

n0pin

Re: DHCP server not using configured IP range

Post by n0pin »

Are there any other routers in the network, as devices could also receive DHCP offers from them?

Shawboy78

Post by Shawboy78 »

There's no other routers or DHCP servers on the network.

calculoso

Post by calculoso »

Try disconnecting the router from everything else, and see if it still gives any DHCP addresses. I have encountered something similar to this, and just now trying to understand it. It looks like it is passing the DHCP request instead of serving the IP, under certain circumstances

Shawboy78

Post by Shawboy78 »

FYI. I've gotten a chance to look at this a little more and it looks like it's just the way DNSMasq (which is acting as the DHCP server) is configured. From what I'm seeing the first 3 positions of the IP shown in the web UI are not pulled from the DNSMasq configuration. And you would think that just modifying the config would resolve the issue, but it appears that any time you restart DNSMasq that it reverts the settings. I haven't had a chance to dig into the scripts to see if there's a way to prevent this or a way to modify the script(s) to use/show the expected values.

outdoor

Post by outdoor »

Shawboy78 wrote:FYI. I've gotten a chance to look at this a little more and it looks like it's just the way DNSMasq (which is acting as the DHCP server) is configured. From what I'm seeing the first 3 positions of the IP shown in the web UI are not pulled from the DNSMasq configuration. And you would think that just modifying the config would resolve the issue, but it appears that any time you restart DNSMasq that it reverts the settings. I haven't had a chance to dig into the scripts to see if there's a way to prevent this or a way to modify the script(s) to use/show the expected values.

Can you elaborate on what you mentioned above? I have a similar issue today in that it appears my devices are being issued or receiving IP addresses outside of what my router/gargoyle is set to. I have DHCP reservations and the devices are getting diff ip addresses and thus are unable to connect to internet. In some cases they are ip addresses of diff subnet.

Default gateway was 192.168.1.1, everything was working then all of a sudden devices had ip of 192.168.0.X and did not have internet access. Had to change default gateway to 192.168.0.1 then everything worked again. Now again, they are being issued diff ip address still within the 192.168.0.x, but not the IP that has been reserved in DHCP settings and thus don't have internet access

Not sure what is going on.

Shawboy78

Post by Shawboy78 »

Sorry, I'm no longer remember all the details.