Forwarded Ports Disappear

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

bzowk

Forwarded Ports Disappear

Post by bzowk »

Hey Guys -

I've been running Gargoyle 1.6.1 for about 3 months now on my Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H. I use it as my home's primary wireless router as it connects all clients to my Comcast business gateway.

I usually have about 20 ports forwarded - most of which have the same internal and external port.

A couple of days ago, I added a new port forward then clicked Save at the bottom of the page. Usually, applying the change takes about 30 seconds however it refreshed the page in a couple of seconds. I scrolled up and saw that the added port wasn't listed.

I restarted the router via the web interface to try again. After logging back in, I went to the port forward section and ALL of my port forward rules had been deleted! After another restart, they were still gone and I verified they were not working.

I went ahead and re-added them and they were working again. Thinking there may be a limit for how many ports may be forwarded, I only added half of what I had before. All was good again.

Today, I had to had a new port so went back in to add a port. I added it, saved it, and clicked Save. The page again refreshed in a couple of seconds and did not have the new rule added. This time, I edited one of the existing rules to the data I needed then clicked Save.

Again, the page refreshed 2 seconds later. This time, there was only one listed port forward - 3389 to my server. I guess it kept it as I was RDP'd in from offsite when doing it.

Any ideas what's going on or how to fix? Before re-adding the rules a couple of days ago, I did a 30-30-30, but guess it didn't help any. I'm signed in via SSH now to take a look but don't know what to really look for here.

Thanks!

grayzone

Re: Forwarded Ports Disappear

Post by grayzone »

I have also seen this issue in 1.6.0 and 1.6.1.
Also you can have a list of ports and delete one and like you said, 2 seconds after hitting the save button it comes back. Then if you reboot they all may be gone. I find if I put them all in at once they take.
But if you come back later on and try to add one, this situation happens.
Wondered if anyone else seen it, so thanks for confirming. :roll:
I am on a TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v1 , so I think it is a software issue.

To duplicate you just need to add a few ports, go back and delete a port, saving changes each time and after a few port adds/edits/deletes you will see where the save does a quick return. Then change to a different page and return to port forwarding and you will see most ports are gone. Real annoying... You have to re-enter all the ports at one time and hope they stay this time.

throughwalls

Post by throughwalls »

I had a similar problem (earlier version) with Firewall >> Restrictions. The restrictions slowly melted away after a couple of restarts. Very odd.

I have not seen it again.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

There is a known bug causing you to lose settings if you have multiple browser window open/active. Try search the Gargoyle forum for this bug.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

grayzone

Post by grayzone »

Only had one browser window open.....

Very repeatable. Will try the 1.6.2 and see how it does.

Thanks...

bzowk

Post by bzowk »

Hey Guys -

Don't know if this post will bump as it's fairly old, but wanted to add more info. I'm still having the issue of forwarded ports disappearing - even after a complete reset of the firmware & settings. Below are system specs - any ideas?

It's gotten so bad

When it Occurs
Everything will be working fine with router. I log in and go to Port Forwarding. I enter a new port forwarding rule, click Add, then click Save Changes at the bottom of the page. Instead of taking 15-20 seconds to save then refresh page, it refreshes in under 1 second. Every time this happens, all port forward rules are gone! uPNP and all other configurations stay - It's just Port Forwarding rules

The above scenario happens once every 5-10 times I try to add a rule. It seems the more rules I have added, the more likely it will occur.

I'm considering going back to OpenWRT or DD-WRT, but love Gargoyle's QOS setup options!

Current Router Configuration & Stats
- Gargoyle 1.6.1
- Running on Buffalo WZR-HP-Ag300H
- Current Memory Usage: 25.5mb of 123.7MB (20.6%)
- CPU Load Averages: 0.72 / 0.42 / 0.29 (1/5/15 minutes)
- Device Config: Gateway
- QOS Download: ~45 rules
- QOS Upload: ~35 rules
- UPnP / NAT-PMP Enabled- Currently has ~ 20 listed
- Port Forwarding:
- Currently 12 rules
- 3 of 12 redirect to different port
- All but 2 go to same static IP

Any suggestions? Thanks!