Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH: what can the blue "Internet" port do?

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Garghoul

Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH: what can the blue "Internet" port do?

Post by Garghoul »

Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH Gargoyle Version:1.6.X (Built 20140614-1947 git@b9673d2)
Device Configuration: Gateway . . . Internet/WAN - Connect Via: DHCP Wired

Am I correct to assume, that in this configuration the blue "Internet" labelled port should be assigned to the LAN interface and work as an Uplink port, when connected to an existing LAN?
If not, how can I achieve that?

Googling around for quite some time now, I only found contradicting and to be honest, partially confusing information about this general issue.

My goal is, to connect the WZR-HP-G300NH to a wall outlet of various corporate LANs, so that I can have my own subnet via the Buffalo's 4 LAN ports and WiFi AP.

So far, I am only succeeding with my own WiFi AP, by using one of the router's 4 LAN ports to connect to the corporate LAN, thus not being able to also have my own private wired subnet.

Any attempt to use the blue "Internet" port doesn't even cause its status LED to turn on or flicker at all.
Just as if this port wouldn't even recognize or understand the LAN's DHCP server.

Why is that and if not configured as a standard Ethernet port, as what else is it set up and what can it actually do?

In the configuration: "Internet / WAN - Connect Via: DHCP Wireless" there is an option: "Wan Ethernet Port: Bridge to LAN".

What exactly does this one do and why isn't it also available for "Connect Via: DHCP Wired"?
Last edited by Garghoul on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

n0pin

Re: Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH: what can the blue "Internet" port

Post by n0pin »

Garghoul wrote: In the configuration: "Internet / WAN - Connect Via: DHCP Wired" there is an option: "Wan Ethernet Port: Bridge to LAN".

What exactly does this one do and why isn't it also available for "Connect Via: DHCP Wired"?
This option bridges WAN port (blue internet port) to LAN interface, so it acts like a LAN port (like other 4 ports on router).

Garghoul

Post by Garghoul »

So just to be sure, in "Internet / WAN - Connect Via: DHCP Wireless" mode, the "Bridge to LAN" option expands the switch part from 4 to 5 wired ports, which are then routed or bridged (depending on the chosen Device Configuration) wirelessly to the feeding uplink, yes?

Note: I initially erroneously wrote "Internet / WAN - Connect Via: DHCP Wired", which is now corrected to "DHCP Wireless".

n0pin

Post by n0pin »

Garghoul wrote:So just to be sure, in "Internet / WAN - Connect Via: DHCP Wireless" mode, the "Bridge to LAN" option expands the switch part from 4 to 5 wired ports, which are then routed or bridged (depending on the chosen Device Configuration) wirelessly to the feeding uplink, yes?

Note: I initially erroneously wrote "Internet / WAN - Connect Via: DHCP Wired", which is now corrected to "DHCP Wireless".
This is correct :D .

Garghoul

Post by Garghoul »

I am happy to report, that praxis actually confirms theory for once :D

In "Internet / WAN - Connect Via: DHCP Wireless" mode, with active "Bridge to LAN" option and "Wireless: Wireless Mode: Client+AP" I am now connected to my laptop through the blue WAN port.
Strangely however, that port's activity LED is inactive in this configuration.
Apparently it is operated from inside the wired router WAN data path.

Thanks big time for the help to get this far :)

Now I still need to figure out the connection mystery in my other usage scenario, where the blue WAN port needs to connect to a corporate LAN wall outlet and actually 'talk' to their DHCP server, for me to create my own 4-port subnet plus WiFi AP.