Windows 8.1 can't see router. Everything else can

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Statik

Windows 8.1 can't see router. Everything else can

Post by Statik »

Hi all,

I tried searching for this but the terms are too common. Google wasn't a help either.

We have two new laptops in the house. Both originally ran Windows 8.0 and could see the router and it's shares fine. After an update to 8.1, neither can see the router's shares. Every other device can see the shares. Nothing has trouble connecting to the router for regular internet use.

Has anyone got a solution for this?

Thanks in advance,

Statik

mates

Re: Windows 8.1 can't see router. Everything else can

Post by mates »

Hi

i have 8.1 and i see router shares without problems ... maybe check your firewall settings

Rog66

Re: Windows 8.1 can't see router. Everything else can

Post by Rog66 »

After your upgrade did you turn on file and printer sharing on the 8.1 machines? Its off by default. I don't think you'll see any network files without it turned on.

"To prepare your PC for sharing files and devices on a network

1.Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, then tap Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the bottom-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, then click Change PC settings.)

2.Tap or click Network, tap or click Connections, then tap or click your network connection.

3.Turn on Find devices and content. "

Statik

[Solved] Re: Windows 8.1 can't see router. Everything else c

Post by Statik »

I did have it turned on after the upgrade. I've tried several things, all to no avail. Then, just as part of the maintenance, I replaced the expired Norton that came with it, with Avast, and suddenly everything works again. Not sure if it was related or not, but I definitely didn't change anything on the router.

Thanks!