Wired bridge AP

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

shuubz

Wired bridge AP

Post by shuubz »

apologies in advance for the gargoyle/openwrt newb question.

the goal is to convert the router to AP mode only: firewall off, bridging via wired to the existing wired network, and forwarding DHCP requests and DNS queries to the existing main router/firewall/infrastructure. providing a/b/g/n only, just WiFi, nothing else. have Buffalo, TP-Link, Cisco equipment.

this is a (relatively) straightforward, gui-based config process for dd-wrt, but i'm trying to standardize on gargoyle.

the only docs i found for this in gargoyle/openwrt are involved and command-line only.

what am i missing? is this functionality planned for some future point?

please advise.

sigwx

Re: Wired bridge AP

Post by sigwx »

Adding to the thread since I have this question as well... my need for a bridge is to extend my wireless network into an area where there is no wifi signal to speak of (so wireless bridge not possible), and I want to have the 'front end' AP handle all the DHCP/Quota/QOS/etc so I don't want to just have a second subnet/NAT in the extended area.

I've tried some searches through the forum and so far haven't come across how its possible (or if its not) to configure a Gargoyle router as a -wired- bridge, is there a guide? Thanks!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

To keep the same subnet you need to disable everything.

Set the connect via to "disabled" and turn off the DHCP server.
This makes it a dumb switch. You lose all benefits of having gargoyle installed.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

sigwx

Post by sigwx »

A possibly interesting observation (using 1.9.x from July 23) is that after each reboot it appears that DHCP is turned back on again (at least the checkbox is enabled).

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

sigwx wrote:A possibly interesting observation (using 1.9.x from July 23) is that after each reboot it appears that DHCP is turned back on again (at least the checkbox is enabled).
I have also seen and wondered about this myself.

Thanks for reporting