TP-Link WR1043nd v2.1 drops internet connection

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

holger

Re: TP-Link WR1043nd v2.1 drops internet connection

Post by holger »

The router has now been running successfully for several weeks on the factory firmware. Only once did it drop the connection and I could easily get it back through the router's web interface using the connect / disconnect button.

To me this strongly suggests that there is a problem with the Gargoyle firmware and this particular router model, which is pretty annoying as it is the very model you can buy off Gargoyle with the firmware pre-installed.

Eric: any comments or any tests / debug output you'd like me to run / provide to assist you with getting to the bottom of this?

Cheers
TP-Link TL-WR1043ND running Gargoyle 1.6

hobbygirl

Post by hobbygirl »

How did you revert back to factory firmware for the wr1043nd v2.1?

Thanks.

holger

Post by holger »

Download correct factory firmware from TP-Link.
Google dd for windows, and download that.

Then in a command prompt you type
dd if=orig.bin of=tplink.bin skip=257 bs=512
obviously stating the name of the factory image as if= and under whatever name you want to store the stripped file as of=

Easiest if you have dd and the image all in one place and cd your command prompt to that location.

Then via the Gargoyle web interface you can load this file as new firmware. Make sure you observe all the cautious notes such as having computer plugged in, not interrupting the connection, etc.
TP-Link TL-WR1043ND running Gargoyle 1.6

happycrappy

Post by happycrappy »

I also have the same issue but on a netgear wndr3700v1. I think the issue started occurring after version 1.5.7.

v1.5.7 seems to be very stable
v1.5.8 drops connection intermittently ~ 20 mins
v1.6.0 drops the connection in < 2 mins

as an side, dd-wrt v24PreSP2 Build 21061 seems stable

holger, I'd be curious to see if version 1.5.7 works for you as well?

No_4

Post by No_4 »

Interesting, I've just come across this post as I'm searching for info on a similar problem. I'm in Auckland NZ running Gargoyle 1.5.8 on a TL-WR1043N/ND v1 router bridged from Telecom vdsl modems. My symptom was that the internet would drop out for all devices momentarily (a minute or so) while all other router/DHCP functions continued merrily. I'm not sure if this is the same symptom as for the OP as you did not mention how long the disconnects lasted.

The problem gradually became more frequent. I tied resetting everything, but that usually resulted in a longer disconnect that simply waiting. I complained to Telecom who could not see anything on their logs but sent out a new odem HG630b to replace the tg589. I've been running that for a day and have had a couple of dropouts that we noticed. I started looking for info on router log files when I found this post. I might try running everything off the HG for awhile to see if that alleviates the problem prior to attempting reverting back to the TP firmware.

hobbygirl

Post by hobbygirl »

[quote="holger"]Download correct factory firmware from TP-Link.
Google dd for windows, and download that.

Can you explain what "dd" stands for?

Thanks

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

If someone experiencing the problem reported on this thread would post a screen shot of their status screen (Web page) and the output of logread and dmesg obtained from the command line of their router it might shed some light on what is going on.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

kroongh

Post by kroongh »

pbix wrote:If someone experiencing the problem reported on this thread would post a screen shot of their status screen (Web page) and the output of logread and dmesg obtained from the command line of their router it might shed some light on what is going on.
Just got myself a WR1043ND v2.1 Will be trying to install Gargoyle this weekend, if I run into any trouble I'll post the requested info.

Regards,
Gerard

Suedroc

Post by Suedroc »

kroongh wrote:
pbix wrote:If someone experiencing the problem reported on this thread would post a screen shot of their status screen (Web page) and the output of logread and dmesg obtained from the command line of their router it might shed some light on what is going on.
Just got myself a WR1043ND v2.1 Will be trying to install Gargoyle this weekend, if I run into any trouble I'll post the requested info.

Regards,
Gerard
Looking forward for this. I'm planning to get this router also, so this will be really helpful.

kroongh

Post by kroongh »

Suedroc wrote: Looking forward for this. I'm planning to get this router also, so this will be really helpful.
Haven't gotten around to this so far due to my daughter being sick. Will try to do this in the days to come. Will report back asap.