Wireless repeater

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

galili

Wireless repeater

Post by galili »

Hi,

I'm trying to set my tp-link wr471nd as a repeater.
My main wireless modem is siemens sl2.
I've installed gargoyle 1511, and set gargoyle as a repeater.
I can now see gargoyle as a wifi on my iphone, but after i put my WEP key, it doesn't connect to it.

I think it maybe about the "ap/gateway ip" value in the gargoyle setup. What do i write there? How do i find this number?

See my setup below.
The gargoyle setup
The gargoyle setup
לכידה.PNG (78.64 KiB) Viewed 20559 times
Thanks, Nir.

pbix
Developer

Re: Wireless repeater

Post by pbix »

Does it connect when there is no security configured?
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

toysareforboys

Post by toysareforboys »

galili wrote:I think it maybe about the "ap/gateway ip" value in the gargoyle setup. What do i write there? How do i find this number?
Yep, you're right :)

You might already know some of this but I'll go over the repeater setup from beginning to end in case other people reading this are having similar problems or don't know where to start.

Notice how beside the "Bridge IP" box it says "must be in AP subnet"? That means that the Bridge IP must be very similar to your Gateway IP (yours is not).

In your example shown above, your Bridge IP should be 212.179.37.2 (this is assuming that the 212.179.37.1 you've entered in the gateway box is the correct private/internal IP address for the source AP/router/modem, and as long as .2 isn't in use. The .2 can be any number from .2 to .254)

I've read reports that you must set the WAN port to bridged (I did for mine, works great).

When you click Scan, and join the wireless network that you want to repeat, it'll automatically pick the correct encryption type and channel, don't change them. In the password box you must enter the same wireless password that's on the source AP/router/modem that you're repeating from.

I've also read reports that using WEP encryption on the source AP/router/modem isn't a very reliable solution. Try changing it (in the SOURCE AP/router/modem) to WPA2 if it supports it (then re-scan and re-join it in your repeater).

If it still doesn't work, connect your computer directly to the source AP/router/modem (wired or wirelessly) then in a dos window (Windows Key + R, type cmd, hit enter) run IPCONFIG /ALL and then copy/paste it up on http://pastie.org and give us the link and I might better be able to help you with the correct settings (because 212.179.37.1 is a strange private IP).

Here is what my IPCONFIG /ALL looks like, connected to the SOURCE ap/router/modem, NOT your repeater ;)

Look for your wireless (if wireless) or ethernet (if wired) section, and your default gateway is what should be in the AP/gateway box of the repeater. In my case that's 192.168.1.1. So for my Bridge IP I used 192.168.1.2

Good luck :)

-Jamie M.

galili

Post by galili »

Thanks pbix and Jamie!

Here's my ipconfig:
http://pastie.org/private/ynpu5s7mt6ihiopdsqap8a

galili

Post by galili »

And I have to mention I have a dynamic IP - I'm using a regular ADSL home connection so I don't have a static IP - would this matter?

toysareforboys

Post by toysareforboys »

galili wrote:Thanks pbix and Jamie!

Here's my ipconfig:
Looks good :)

Here is how I would setup the repeater settings... but first, before you enter these settings, when connected directly to the source AP/router/modem, go to the dos prompt again but this time enter PING 10.0.0.251 and verify you don't get any replies.

Repeater settings:
AP/gateway: 10.0.0.138
Subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
Bridge IP: 10.0.0.251
WAN ethernet: bridged
DNS: Use gateway.

Should work SWEET! :)
galili wrote:And I have to mention I have a dynamic IP - I'm using a regular ADSL home connection so I don't have a static IP - would this matter?
Nope, makes no difference at all. Doesn't matter if you've got a static public IP, static private IP or both are dynamic!

Let me know if it works for ya :)

-Jamie M.

galili

Post by galili »

Thanks Jamie & pbix, it now works great!

I configured everything according to what Jamie said, but initially it still didn't connect. Then I changed the security on the host router to WPA2-PSK, and it connected!

Many thanks to your help!

:D

toysareforboys

Post by toysareforboys »

galili wrote:Thanks Jamie & pbix, it now works great!

I configured everything according to what Jamie said, but initially it still didn't connect. Then I changed the security on the host router to WPA2-PSK, and it connected!

Many thanks to your help!
Nice work! In my original post I said WEP could cause issues, so now that's confirmed! Gargoyle should pop up a warning when you try and join/repeat a WEP encrypted network (or fix it so WEP works too)!!

-Jamie M.