PPPoE WAN Modem Bridge Mode

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

rfdude

PPPoE WAN Modem Bridge Mode

Post by rfdude »

I'm running 1.5.7 on a Buffalo WZR-HP-G500NH2 using PPPoE thru a DSL modem. It appears like Gargoyle is getting confused or detecting multiple WAN IP in this process for itself and the DSL modem. The WAN IP does NOT appear on the Status > Overview page, rather the LAN IP (DHCP) served by the DSL modem. Connection > ROUTING shows Active Routes to:

default pppoe-wan (WAN) Isp-Gateway
64.230.200.1xx pppoe-wan (WAN) * (this is not my WAN address, but the ISP Gateway address... it is good. Internet works...)
192.168.2.0 br-lan (LAN) * (this is the Gargoyle domain)
192.168.3.0 eth0.2 * (this is the DSL modem domain if using this for LAN, which I'm not. Appears that Gargoyle is working through the modem LAN)

If I look up my WAN IP from the web, I get 184.144.84.xx. I can also access my DSL modem directly thru LAN, which is not normal. Its LAN should be hidden. The DSL modem has another WAN IP 174.95.197.1xx which is as it should. My speedtest result is about 10% slower than it should be.

Is the only confusion here that the Overview page isn't listing the WAN IPA? Or is Gargoyle firing all traffic over the modem LAN? The path to the DSL modem LAN should be hidden? Any other router I use... Netgear... DD-WRT... shows the WAN IP correctly and there is no hint of the DSL LAN.

Background: My ISP provides a DSL modem Speedstream 6520 that is a wireless AP and 4-port switch. The ISP's modem can detect another router or device downstream trying to establish its own PPPoE connection, and simply provides a PPPoE bridge service for that device. Nice thing is that the ISP will provide multiple public dynamic IP addresses through the same DSL modem, so the user can run segregated services.
rfdude
------------------
1.09.2 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 -> 8 OpenMesh AP's
1.10.0 Archer C7 -> Multiple Cisco 1702i Autonomous Mode

kalagxw

Re: PPPoE WAN Modem Bridge Mode

Post by kalagxw »

i have the same problem as u are
my router is netgear wndr3800 and the moden is a epon equipment
Attachments
11.jpg
11.jpg (88.16 KiB) Viewed 6837 times

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

This is a known problem with v1.5.7 and fixes are already in the repo.

Your choices are three, build Gargoyle from the repo yourself and use that, go back to v1.5.6 and wait for the next release of Gargoyle or put the attached ip-up-state file in a directory on the router at /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ and the ip-down-state file in /etc/ppp/ip-down.d directory. You may need to create the directories.
Attachments
Attachments.zip
(718 Bytes) Downloaded 340 times
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

rfdude

Post by rfdude »

Thanks pbix for the issue confirmation and files! I'll give it a try. 1.5.6 doesn't like my NH2 router. And I need the web usage function back, as the present version with this bug attributes all web browsing to the modem IP only.

I've been a Gargoyle user for a couple years now. I appreciate the effort of all involved. Thank you. ;)
rfdude
------------------
1.09.2 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 -> 8 OpenMesh AP's
1.10.0 Archer C7 -> Multiple Cisco 1702i Autonomous Mode

kalagxw

Post by kalagxw »

pbix wrote:This is a known problem with v1.5.7 and fixes are already in the repo.

Your choices are three, build Gargoyle from the repo yourself and use that, go back to v1.5.6 and wait for the next release of Gargoyle or put the attached ip-up-state file in a directory on the router at /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ and the ip-down-state file in /etc/ppp/ip-down.d directory. You may need to create the directories.

i do the 3rd choice and reboot but anything happened,i still have no wan status in overview page.

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

You might want to try this build compiled by ispyisail:

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =14&t=3284

Should have the fixes in, and if you have 1.5.7, you can flash that
build and should be able to keep settings as well.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400