Remote router access setup

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

jwhipp

Remote router access setup

Post by jwhipp »

Can someone please walk me through the process of setting router access from the WAN? I'd like to be able to access my home router from work when needed and after researching and trying it myself, I've been unsuccessful. I'm still not certain how this is setup in the Gargoyle interface.

I've looked for a previous post on the subject and haven't found one.

I appreciate the help!
TP-Link Archer C5 AC1200 v1.2
Gargoyle 1.7.1

pbix
Developer

Re: Remote router access setup

Post by pbix »

This is configured on the System->Router Access page under the "Wan Access" and "SSH Access" sections. Configuration is straight forward so you will need to be more specific if you want help with this.

Web access can be complicate by the following issues:

First consider if you have a static IP address from your ISP. Most people don't so then you need to learn about DDNS services, open and account with one and then configure Gargoyle to update the account. Use google to learn about DDNS. Also see the Connection->Dynamix DNS page on your router.

Second, I recommend that your change the port numbers from the defaults (80, 443, 22). Many ISPs block these commonly used ports so you will just frustrate yourself if you try and use them. Also it enhances security. There are many unsavory types roaming the internet poking at these ports trying to crack into your router. All they will have to do is guess your password to get in keep this in mind. Using other port numbers make it harder for them to find you and begin their attack.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

jwhipp

Post by jwhipp »

I thought the setup process was straightforward myself, but I've not been able to get things working.

I have a dynamic IP address, but it appears to have never changed in the time I've been with my ISP. Regardless, I have an account with openDNS and have configured Gargoyle to update the account as you've suggested in the Dynamic DNS page. I think I have a fair understanding of DDNS services.

I will try changing the port number (currently 443). Question I have is, do I not have to set up a port forward in Firewall->Individual Port Forwarding (or Range) in addition to the System->Router Access setup in order for it to work? If so, I'm guessing that's where I've made my mistake as I've never setup port forwarding and completely unfamiliar with this concept.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: I just realized that my router does not have the external address, the cable modem has it. I'm guessing this is the problem and the port forwarding must take place on the modem instead?
Gargoyle 1.7.1

mix

Post by mix »

Double nat is a bad thing. Consider figuring out how to bridge your cable modem router combo device.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

jwhipp

Post by jwhipp »

Is double NAT a bad thing in general, or just for what I'm trying to accomplish?

I looked into bridging the cable modem and the ISP (Comcast) put up a real fuss about it. Sounds like they want to give me a different modem instead of reconfiguring it.

I also use Vonage for phone service and they had me set their modem between the cable modem and my Linksys, so I'll need to move that when I get the bridge complete so that I'm only "using" one IP.

I didn't realize it would be such a hassle to access my router remotely! :roll: I am getting some education though. :D
Gargoyle 1.7.1

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

It is always best to put your modem into bridge mode if you can because it is just less complicated more reliable and higher performance in some cases. We are using Gargoyle because of problems we had with stock firmware. Unless you get your modem into bridge mode you still have stock firmware in the picture and any problems that it might bring with it.

It could still work though if your modem is acting as a router too (double NAT). In that case you will need to forward the port on the modem to your Gargoyle router. Again often the well known ports are blocked by your ISP so us other port numbers as I suggested.

Your vonage phone device can be moved if you do bridge you modem. You will just need to use QoS on Gargoyle to make sure it gets the bandwidth it needs.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

mix

Post by mix »

Vonage modem between the Comcast modem and your router? Triple nat?
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

jwhipp

Post by jwhipp »

Makes sense about bridging the modem for simplicity and removing stock firmware. I've never really thought about it that way. Good advice, guys. Thank you.

I don't believe there was triple NAT going on, but certainly two devices (Vonage modem and Gargoyle) behind the Comcast. So double NAT twice (?)
Gargoyle 1.7.1

gsuresh2u

Post by gsuresh2u »

Hi, I installed this firmware on Linksys WRT1900ACS
It's working fine, I have static IP
When I enter the ip from outside network, it's showing router login page
But even I enter correct password, its not logging in
When I disable security, it's ok
What may be the problem?