WNDR3700v1 & Gargoyle - 5Ghz selection for non-USA routers?

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

vib.ribbon

WNDR3700v1 & Gargoyle - 5Ghz selection for non-USA routers?

Post by vib.ribbon »

Hi All,

I have been a big fan of Gargoyle since I discovered it a few builds ago - but one thing that does bug me is that there seems to be a flaw in that us non USA (well, European) router owners have our 5Ghz channel selection severely limited (I understand we are limited in channel selection anyway - being European...but Gargoyle seems to be even more limted?

Using Builds 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 I am only able to get channels 36 through to 48 to work correctly. Now, i understand that being a European user I am legally not entitled to use any channel above 140....but I should be able to get channels 52 through to 140 - as I did using the stock Netgear firmware?

I have noticed a few other users with the same issue - and they all seem to be non-USA users as well.

I have read the posts about updating the regulatory.bin file and updating the 'option country XX' flag....but this doesn't work as i do not think Gargoyle has been built using the CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD=Y switch (this switch is required to make the wireless driver respect option country flag).

Any chance a 'special' build of Gargoyle being produced with this switch enabled so we can select the correct country option for our routers please?

:D

DoesItMatter

Re: WNDR3700v1 & Gargoyle - 5Ghz selection for non-USA route

Post by DoesItMatter »

See these threads:

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... t=40#p8576

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... 1670#p7494

This is NOT a bug

It is done on purpose from OpenWRT

They will not allow this to change, you will have to apply this fix
each time you upgrade firmware.

UNSUPPORTED - use at your own risk.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

vib.ribbon

Post by vib.ribbon »

DoesItMatter wrote:See these threads:

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... t=40#p8576

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... 1670#p7494

This is NOT a bug

It is done on purpose from OpenWRT

They will not allow this to change, you will have to apply this fix
each time you upgrade firmware.

UNSUPPORTED - use at your own risk.
Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, i understand this is not a bug - which is why i referenced it as a 'flaw' - not a bug.

I also understand that this is done on purpose......but how come the Netgear stock firmware (which is essentially an old version Open WRT that Netgear have out there own stamp on?) enables me to use the channels I am permitted to? Don't get me wrong, I know there are loads of channels i am not entitled to use (as i live in the UK) but Gargoyle seems to block pretty much all the 5Ghz channels - even the ones I would expect to be accessible.

Just to reiterate, my question was only to ask if there is any possibility that a special\the next Gargoyle (1.5.3?) could built using the 'CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD=Y' switch - this would enable users to specify their own country code as required.

Tried clicking on your link to the fix ("UNSUPPORTED - use at your own risk.") but it doesn't seem to work? I would be very grateful if you could update the link.

Thanks again.

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

The "Unsupported use at your own risk" underline
was to emphasize and bold that point.

If you click both links above that I posted, there is a modified
regulatory.bin file and instructions where to place it and
how to use it.

I won't make this simple because you are violating regulatory laws
using this in certain locations.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

Adri

Post by Adri »

DoesItMatter wrote:The "Unsupported use at your own risk" underline
was to emphasize and bold that point.

If you click both links above that I posted, there is a modified
regulatory.bin file and instructions where to place it and
how to use it.

I won't make this simple because you are violating regulatory laws
using this in certain locations.
Using the modified regulatory.bin doesn't help getting the european allowed channels!
These channels are blocked by the ath9k driver, because Netgear has programmed the country code in the eeprom as US.
Without the 'CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD=Y' setting at compile time, the ath9k driver will not allow the country code to be changed.
The only thing the modified regulatory.bin does is allow you to use more tx power and channels 11-13 on the 2.4 Ghz band.

I agree for european users, who want to use the 5 Ghz band, gargoyle needs to be compiled with the 'CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD=Y' setting.

Adri.
Adri.

vib.ribbon

Post by vib.ribbon »

Looks like Adri beat me to the punch - I tried the regulatory.bin replacement, etc but as Adri correctly points out, it doesn't work for us European (and i assume everyone not North American?) users.

Thanks for clarifying my points Adri - as I have already mentioned...I really do like Gargoyle, and enabling us non North American users to use the 5Ghz channels we should be able to use would be the icing on th cake. :)

vib.ribbon

Post by vib.ribbon »

Can anyone confirm if the latest 1.5.3 build has been built with the 'CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD=Y' flag?

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

vib.ribbon wrote:Can anyone confirm if the latest 1.5.3 build has been built with the 'CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD=Y' flag?
No, it looks like it is not enabled (except if it is enabled directly in OpenWRT):
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/gargoyle ... usb/config
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4

Adri

Post by Adri »

hnl_dk wrote:
vib.ribbon wrote:Can anyone confirm if the latest 1.5.3 build has been built with the 'CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD=Y' flag?
No, it looks like it is not enabled (except if it is enabled directly in OpenWRT):
OpenWRT doesn't have it enabled by default.
It would be a good idea for Eric to enable this by default for some routers, like the Netgear WNDR3700, which always default to US settings, regardless of the region/country the router was purchased.

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

Adri wrote:
hnl_dk wrote:
OpenWRT doesn't have it enabled by default.
It would be a good idea for Eric to enable this by default for some routers, like the Netgear WNDR3700, which always default to US settings, regardless of the region/country the router was purchased.
Looks like the TL-WR1043ND does the same... so I would also appreciate it for the TL-WR1043ND.
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =13&t=2366
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4