Wifi Died 1.5.2 wrt54gl

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

DoesItMatter

Re: Wifi Died 1.5.2 wrt54gl

Post by DoesItMatter »

Yes!

Any WRT54 router should NOT be using 1.5.x - NO Point to it!

1.4.5 has all the features / drivers of the 1.5.x series

1.5.x has Tor and 5Ghz stuff - no point in flashing on a WRT54xxx
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

Algeorge

Post by Algeorge »

Wifi died on my 1.5.2 and died 1.4.5 too!
Here is how I fixed:
It seems you cant use saved settings (restore) reliably. Once the router receives the complex list of settings it somehow gets confused and drops the wifi.

Completely clear the wrt54gl memory by usual 3 x reset or upgrade the firmware if using 1.5.2 to 1.4.5.
Do not restore settings, but go through the settings manually, and your wifi should then work and continue to work on each slow individual page save of settings. I know its a drag but for me was the only method which made wifi stay up.

Will be keeping an eye on my wifi and let you know if it reverts back to not working!
Cheers,
Alistair.

mix

Post by mix »

This has nothing to do with the issue being discussed here. Furthermore, the 30/30/30 reset doesn't do anything with OpenWRT, since OpenWRT doesn't use nvram variables like the stock Linksys firmware, dd-wrt and Tomato do.
Algeorge wrote:Wifi died on my 1.5.2 and died 1.4.5 too!
Here is how I fixed:
It seems you cant use saved settings (restore) reliably. Once the router receives the complex list of settings it somehow gets confused and drops the wifi.

Completely clear the wrt54gl memory by usual 3 x reset or upgrade the firmware if using 1.5.2 to 1.4.5.
Do not restore settings, but go through the settings manually, and your wifi should then work and continue to work on each slow individual page save of settings. I know its a drag but for me was the only method which made wifi stay up.

Will be keeping an eye on my wifi and let you know if it reverts back to not working!
Cheers,
Alistair.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

Culex

Post by Culex »

The problem has to do with the brcm47xx driver and k26 kernel. Both OpenWRT and Gargoyle are unstable with this configuration. In both instances wifi dies requiring a type of manual reset. Also several times with both firmware's running 'opkg list' caused the router to reboot for no apparent reason.

The last stable Gargoyle version I have found reliable to be 1.2.5 for this router. I believe the reason has to do with it using bcrm-2.4. The latest version of OpenWRT still comes with a bcrm-2.4 version and is rock solid.

I'm currently installing 1.3.9-brcm-24 and hope there will continue to be newer versions with this driver.

DonZiolo

Post by DonZiolo »

I have to agree that thers something with kernel and bcm driver in 1.5.x/1.4.x series.
I had wifi drops after heavy load when i was using for example netbios (1pc wired + 1 laptop @ wifi) in windows to copy large files from desktop to laptop. Same when i was using heavy load with p2p over wifi.
The only think that was helpful after wifi drop was entering shell and commands like:
wifi down
wifi up
Now im back to 1.2.5 and everything is very stable , no drops even whane im copying 4,7gb files via netbios or ftp betwen wired and wifi + 2x p2p on two other laptops and fullspeed http downloading for test.

It would be nice to have all new features and fixes from new versions with old wifi driver or kernel ( i dont know witch one is needed for proper work , maybe both) for stable working.

BTW : Is 1.3.9 has the same kernel and wifi driver like 1.2.x ?