Linksys wrt54GS wifi random drop out

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Badgerbutt

Linksys wrt54GS wifi random drop out

Post by Badgerbutt »

Hi,

We have just installed gargoyle as below and are having issues with the wireless dropping out - you can still see the wifi network but you aren't able to log into it (it times out or fails) and anyone on it can't communicate with the router or internet. Wired computers are fine and able to surf and access the router fine.

Linksys WRT54GS V.3
Started with DD-WRT and then installed Gargoyle 1.45. It dropped so we moved up to 1.5.1 to see if it made any difference.

We have tried changing the wifi channel and also dropping the security form wpa2 to wpa but we still get the same issue: wifi is dropping out maybe 3 or 4 times a day.

Any ideas? Is this a known issue?

routergirl

Re: Linksys wrt54GS wifi random drop out

Post by routergirl »

This is badgerbutt's wife, wishing he chose a different screenname here.

More info on this - when the wireless dropped this time I SSH'ed in and did "logread" - and found this:

Jan 1 23:31:18 Gargoyle user.err kernel: b43-phy0 ERROR: MAC suspend failed
Jan 1 23:32:19 Gargoyle user.err kernel: b43-phy0 ERROR: MAC suspend failed

We're just running with whatever is in there by default. Is there a better/working Broadcom driver or package we can install to fix this? I found a load of issues with the broadcom driver on ubuntu, Linux, etc, but the fix they mention goes into modprobe.d/b43.conf, which doesn't exist in the Gargoyle Linux.

Any help would be seriously appreciated.

jaykumar2001

Post by jaykumar2001 »

Did you try upgrading to 1.5.2? It solved my problem with unstable wifi, has issues with 1.4.1 and 1.4.2
TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.2
DIR-300 - DD-Wrt v24 preSP2 (Build14896)

routergirl

Post by routergirl »

We put this on the back burner for a while, but now we're going to try the 1.5.2 and see how it goes. Is there a known difference as far as the broadcom drivers in 1.5.2?

Thanks!

RG

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

off-topic

Re:routergirl

Question: Why doesn't my wife take the same detailed interest my hobbies???

routergirl

Post by routergirl »

I was really hoping 1.5.2 would do the trick. We put it on last night and had no drops - woke up this morning and all was well. Then this afternoon it dropped out. My son rebooted the router to fix it, and then a couple hours later it dropped out again. Logread is giving us no clues at this point.

PS. ispyisail you made me laugh. :D

mix

Post by mix »

routergirl wrote:I was really hoping 1.5.2 would do the trick. We put it on last night and had no drops - woke up this morning and all was well. Then this afternoon it dropped out. My son rebooted the router to fix it, and then a couple hours later it dropped out again. Logread is giving us no clues at this point.

PS. ispyisail you made me laugh. :D
I'd stick with WPA TKIP (WPA PSK in the web interface) with this router. I am pretty sure it has the same BCM5352 that many of use with the WRT54GL are using. Your router just has twice the amount of flash memory and ram that we all wish we also had. So what do dmesg and logread say after the wifi quits working?

This router, how many years ago did you pick it up? Have you ever opened up the pastic shell and taken a look at the capacitors on the circuit board to make sure they aren't bulging or leaking? What is the cpu clock speed according to the command "cat /proc/cpuinfo"?
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Eric has just pushed an update

4dd340bd 01/08/2012 07:09 pm Eric Bishop

bump openwrt version, includes latest wireless fixes

I am building now

re:routergirl

:)