WNDR3700 Gargoyle Crashes my Client?!

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

airguy

WNDR3700 Gargoyle Crashes my Client?!

Post by airguy »

Never have seen this one before. Have a WNDR3700 V1. Bought almost a year ago, but sitting waiting for someone to write firmware that has a working QOS (tried all of them!) and finally tried out Gargoyle and it works great!! WooHoo!! Now my E3000 will be going in the closet.

Anyhow, upgrade to Gargoyle went fine (tried both 1.43 and now 1.5). But when I log in from my Win7 Desktop machine, it locks up and sometimes blue screens! Gives me this error from the crash dumps:

On Wed 11/16/2011 8:17:59 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: iastor.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x9087 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: Unknown
Dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111611-24975-01.dmp
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\iastor.sys
product: Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver
company: Intel Corporation

Needless to say, I have tried to update this driver with several versions. It's for my Intel ICH10R SATA AHCI controller. Also happens with FireFox 5 and IE 8.

So had to use my Laptop (also running Win 7 x64) to set up the router.
Since this is a storage driver that seems to be crashing, I was thinking it might have something to do with the USB storage on the router? I attached a USB thumb drive, mounted it, but still the same.

I had both DD-WRT and the Netgear stock firmware on it right before, and didn't have this problem.

I am using a wired connection to do the router setup.

What could be the difference in Gargoyle?
Netgear WNDR3700 Gargoyle 1.5

mix

Re: WNDR3700 Gargoyle Crashes my Client?!

Post by mix »

This has absolutely nothing to do with Gargoyle or your router. This is a problem with your computer, namely the intel sata storage driver, just as it states.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

Urgje

Post by Urgje »

mix wrote:This has absolutely nothing to do with Gargoyle or your router. This is a problem with your computer, namely the intel sata storage driver, just as it states.
That may (or may not) be quite true, but it's still an intriguing question why it locks up when he tries to log into the Gargoyle GUI of his router. To which I don't even have the beginning of an answer . . .
Urgje (Netgear WNDR3700v2 / Gargoyle 1.4.7)
[my ego shrank while growing up]

mix

Post by mix »

A BSOD should never happen. It's caused by driver bugs or hardware failures. IT IS NOT CAUSED BY WEBSITES OR 3RD PARTY FIRMWARE ON YOUR NAT ROUTER.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

Urgje

Post by Urgje »

mix wrote:A BSOD should never happen. It's caused by driver bugs or hardware failures. IT IS NOT CAUSED BY WEBSITES OR 3RD PARTY FIRMWARE ON YOUR NAT ROUTER.
Why scream? At least, that's what I associate 'all caps' with. Maybe it's my longtime newsgroups background that's speaking here and I'm interpreting your reaction incorrectly. In that case I offer my honest apologies.
But IMHO your 'all caps' remark adds nothing to the argument . . .
I'm still curious as to why the co-incidence of the bluescreen and the attempt log in to the router happens. :-)

airguy

Post by airguy »

Guys..I am having a hard time believing this too. As I said, never seen this one before, and I've been using these things for some years!

So, just to test, flashed back to the stock firmware with tftp (even did it on the machine that crashes if I use the Web GUI). Went fine. Did a 30/30/30 reset. Logged in to the stock firmware, and went all over the place changing my settings, forwarding ports, Qos, Mac Filters...no problems at all.

So, then from the Web GUI, I installed Gargoyle 1.5 with the NA Factory Image. Went fine. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Did a 30/30/30 reset (not sure if this is necessary..from the Ol' DD-WRT days, but can't hurt).

Then using IE 8 on Win 7 x64, logged into Gargoyle.

Looks good. First link I clicked on: Computer locked up entirely.

Reset computer, tried again. Same result. Reset computer, tried with Firefox 5, same result.

So, I am just reporting what's going on. I have ABSOLUTELY no idea why this is even possible!! Just doesn't even seem related but it's happened now twice to me.

I still run Gargoyle. But I have to use my Laptop (also running Win 7 x64, but Home Premium, not Ultimate). That works fine.
Crash reports seemed to indicate something to do with Storage controller drivers (ICH10R) on my desktop.

Laptop has ICH9R storage controller.

This is all I know so far.

Again, took me completely by surprise.

mix

Post by mix »

I tend to use all caps when people spread misinformation.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

Urgje

Post by Urgje »

mix wrote:I tend to use all caps when people spread misinformation.
Personality is always appreciated, honestly! But using all caps doesn't convince (me); it's arguments that may convince me (or not).

If you could point out to me where the misinformation was spread, in the previous thread, I might understand you. But up till now nobody has stated as a fact that the login to the Gargoyle firmware on the router (and therefore the Gargoyle firmware in some way) _is_ the cause of the BSOD. The coincidence has been pointed out and repeated in testing. So there appears to be sound reason to investigate whether or not there may be something in the Gargoyle firmware that causes this.

Your 'shouted' statement that this IS not (and can not) be the case is just a statement and not an argument supported by fact that we can follow and agree or disagree upon. It doens't convince me. If you can support your argument, I'd be glad to hear why _you_ think so.

airguy

Post by airguy »

Well, gonna be out on the road for a couple of weeks, so won't be able to do much further testing for awhile. In a way, it would be more for curiosity than necessity, as I CAN configure Gargoyle with my Laptop, and it is running fine now.

I certainly didn't intend to ruffle feathers here, only to ask for help and and suggestions, and see if this has happened to anyone else.

I believe you never stop learning...