DDNS is way wrong

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

stuartbh

DDNS is way wrong

Post by stuartbh »

Gargoyle users/develoeprs:

I use DDNS to obtain the IP address of my DSL modem and it appears to be set to 10.20.10.22 which is entirely wrong (as it is not a publically routable IP address). I was able to call my provider and have them ping my modem and provide me with my IP address as a work around.

I would suggest a couple of changes to Gargoyle so that prior to updating DDNS, it reads the old DDNS IP address and performs a comparative analysis of if it is a routable IP address and if the update is non-routable. Thus, it cannot occur that a routable IP is going to get replaced with a non-routable IP address. This can be done with a regex rather easily.

Non-routable spaces we could create a regex to filter out and not then update wiping out a good routable IP address on DDNS update.

10.0.0.0/8 (Range: 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255)
172.16.0.0/12 (Range: 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255)
192.168.0.0/16 (Range: 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255)

Granted, my IP address (though ostensibly dynamic per the provider) seems to rarely change, so I also setup a static A record with it recorded there within as a backup plan.
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

Lantis

Re: DDNS is way wrong

Post by Lantis »

Using what version? This issue has been fixed several times (you can search the forum).
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

Lantis wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:15 am
Using what version? This issue has been fixed several times (you can search the forum).
I am running the latest stable version, 1.12.0

I will search the forums for the bug, but, if it has been fixed then is it fair to say no new stable release was issued with the fix then?
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Correct
You can either use the hosts file to block the two domains that cause an issue (you can identify this through the ddns logs) or you can use a much more modern version.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

stuartbh

Post by stuartbh »

Lantis wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:44 am
Correct
You can either use the hosts file to block the two domains that cause an issue (you can identify this through the ddns logs) or you can use a much more modern version.
I look forward to using a much more modern version once it has been fully regression tested, moved through it is CI/CD process and been released as stable.

For the moment, I did add these entries to /etc/hosts and it fixed it:

203.0.113.1 aruljohn.com
203.0.113.2 bot.whatismyipaddress.com

Some searching and I found them.

Thanks for your replies.

One additional note, I ended up removing the A record I setup and created another ddns record that is not updated by Gargoyle firmware and I update only myself via a bash script.

I also learned how to get my provider to tell me my IP address whence I am not at my house (asking them to ping my router and read me the IP instead of to conduct a diagnostic test on my router). Apparently, you have to be very specific with the Filipino support folks as they are not very intuitive as to what to do to help. Oddly, there is a big difference betwixt the two at CenturyLink and they cannot run diagnostics on the router if they don't have its serial number in their records (I have no clue why they wouldn't but I'll get the to update their records for me soon anyway).
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist