STA Manager usage

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

LoyLT

STA Manager usage

Post by LoyLT »

Difficult finding much info about the STA Manager,...

Every thread I see it kind of sounds like the STA Manager takes care of reconnecting *only* WAN-side wireless to a prioritized list of desired hotspots... is that correct?

I've seen the posts about the issues with it, about LAN-side wifi dropping until WAN-side picks up again... and I've seen the info about the colors meaning stuff (though i'd have to go dig up that post again to remember what's what)...

Is there any other uses the STA Manager could have? Is there specific configuration options that provide more than what I'm understanding about it on my own?

feel free to answer as much or as little of this post as desired... i won't get upset over it... for me, the STA Manager was like finding a free onion ring in my box of french fries

Lantis

Re: STA Manager usage

Post by Lantis »

LoyLT wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:46 am
Difficult finding much info about the STA Manager,...

Every thread I see it kind of sounds like the STA Manager takes care of reconnecting *only* WAN-side wireless to a prioritized list of desired hotspots... is that correct?
Yes
LoyLT wrote:
I've seen the posts about the issues with it, about LAN-side wifi dropping until WAN-side picks up again...
No, that's the problem it solves.
LoyLT wrote:
and I've seen the info about the colors meaning stuff (though i'd have to go dig up that post again to remember what's what)...
I've replied in your other thread for these.
LoyLT wrote:
Is there any other uses the STA Manager could have? Is there specific configuration options that provide more than what I'm understanding about it on my own?
That's about it. It is designed for 2 use cases:
1. Someone who may have intermittent wifi availability, or maybe they travel between networks, or the available networks at a location come and go.
2. It can be implemented with just a single desired network specified, and you gain the benefit of the LAN side wifi not dropping when the WAN side disappears (for whatever reason), which makes figuring out what went wrong a lot easier.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.