Gargoyle - How to configure Wired Wireless Bridge

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

MollyJanet

Gargoyle - How to configure Wired Wireless Bridge

Post by MollyJanet »

Environment:

Primary Gargoyle Router - 192.168.0.1 - Connected to cable modem (WAN) and local network (LAN)

Secondary Gargoyle Router - 192.168.1.1 - Connected over ethernet from WAN port to local network switch

Goal: To increase the range of my Wifi network without invoking Wireless bridging, as that kills half the throughput due to repetition.

Primary Router config: Gateway mode, IP 192.168.0.1, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Secondary Router config: Bridge IP - 192.168.1.1 AP/Gateway IP - 192.168.0.1 Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0 Mode - Connect via Client Bridge Wan Ethernet port - Bridge to LAN Repeater - Repeater Disabled SSID to Join - <My Wifi SID>

However, these settings are not working. My primary works fine, but the secondary cannot route to it. I'm confused because the Gargoyle setup explicitly states that the Bridge IP must be outside AP subnet, and that the Subnet Mask is same as AP mask. From my understanding, that would leave 192.168.1.1 in a state where it cannot route to 192.168.0.1, and .0.1 in a state where it can't receive packets from .1.1, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding this? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this working?
Last edited by MollyJanet on Wed May 05, 2021 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lantis

Re: Gargoyle - How to configure Wired Wireless Bridge

Post by Lantis »

You have a wired link to the secondary router?

In that case,
Mode: Gateway
Connect Via: Disabled
Bridge WAN Port: Yes if you want to gain another port for use, otherwise No. Note that if you select No, you need to move your connection to the Primary Router from the WAN port to an available LAN port.
LAN: A static IP in your Primary Router's DHCP lease (can by dynamic too but static is usually easier to manage long term)
AP: Configured as you wish
DHCP: Disabled (it will be handled by Primary Router)

This mode is typically referred to as "Dumb AP" mode as the router isn't really doing any smarts, it's just broadcasting another AP and using wired backhaul.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Re: Gargoyle - How to configure Wired Wireless Bridge

Post by Lantis »

However, these settings are not working. My primary works fine, but the secondary cannot route to it. I'm confused because the Gargoyle setup explicitly states that the Bridge IP must be outside AP subnet, and that the Subnet Mask is same as AP mask. From my understanding, that would leave 192.168.1.1 in a state where it cannot route to 192.168.0.1, and .0.1 in a state where it can't receive packets from .1.1, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding this? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this working?
Most likely because you've effectively setup a routing loop by connecting to both the WiFi and bridging the WAN to your LAN (you've created two paths to the primary router and they won't play nicely).
While your assumption about the subnets is generally correct, in this case a special program (relayd) handles the communication for you. It is creating a "pseudobridge".
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.