Help a newbie with a complicated case

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

adam

Help a newbie with a complicated case

Post by adam »

Hi! I'm a total beginner when it comes to networking so I thought I could ask for help..
Let me say first that I know this setup would be far from optimal but I don't have a lot of options financially..
so I have a cheap router from my isp and can't really do much with it, but recently I found a old tp link tl-wa701nd v1 access point and I was wondering if I can do the following with it using custom firmware or maybe stock:
- Connect it wirelessly to the main router
- make it work as a repeater perhaps but with multiple different ssids
- have speed limiter and mac filtering work on these ssids

is this possible? thank you

Lantis

Re: Help a newbie with a complicated case

Post by Lantis »

The device is old and low spec. It wouldn't work with new versions of Gargoyle at all. You would be limited to 1.10 or earlier which all have will known security vulnerabilities.

What you want to achieve isn't a "repeater". It's just joining a network as a wireless client and broadcasting your own networks downstream.
This would allow MAC filtering and speed limiting via QoS.

Devices on the downstream networks would not be able to see devices on the upstream networks as they would be on a different subnet.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

adam

Post by adam »

Thank you, I know it's not optimal but it is what it is, so I did some reading and I set it up as dchp wireless and client + ap mode is that correct? I noticed that the range is pretty bad is this an openwrt issue and the the clock doesnt sync even after I connected the device directly to the main router through LAN.. what can I do to fix this?

Edit: it looks like my isp is blocking ntp traffic / port 123 and after searching I found this rule

Code: Select all

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -p udp -m udp --sport 123 -j MASQUERADE --to-ports 60000-61000
can I apply it directly in ssh? does it need other rules?
Last edited by adam on Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Speed would be a little slower than OEM. The uplink band is also roughly cut in half as it is performing uplink and downlink duties.

You can enter that command directly to try it. If it fixes your issue you should add it to a more permanent place so it is done automatically e.g. firewall.user or RC.local
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.