Wireless WAN requires reboot when internet drops

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ineedshoes

Wireless WAN requires reboot when internet drops

Post by ineedshoes »

I recently upgraded from HughesNet to 4G (IFWA modem) for home internet. So much better. I was able to configure my Gargoyle router to use a wireless signal for the WAN so my LAN devices saw no change in configuration. But every time the internet goes out momentarily, I lose my wireless LAN connectivity, like the router has frozen. My solution is to reboot the router (physically turn off/on). Would a firmware upgrade be the solution? I don't want to risk breaking my network with an upgrade if it's not likely to be the solution to my problem. Or do I need to shop for a new device?

Device Name:Gargoyle
Gargoyle Version:1.10.0
Model:TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v2
Device Configuration:Gateway
Memory Usage:17.9MB / 59.6MB (30%)
Connections:204/4096
CPU Load Averages:0.00 / 0.00 / 0.00 (1/5/15 minutes)

Lantis

Re: Wireless WAN requires reboot when internet drops

Post by Lantis »

This is expected behaviour for the radio. If it loses connection to the upstream wireless network, it will go into an endless "search mode" trying to reconnect. When it is doing this, it is not possible for it to also transmit your local wireless network, hence it goes down.

Your device should be a dualband one, so you should only lose 1 of the wireless networks (the same one that goes upstream).

Is this enough information for you to workaround the problem you're having? You should be able to connect to the alternate band, and rejig the wifi from there (which is all a reboot is doing anyway).

In the latest beta versions, there's a plugin called "STA Manager" which attempts to solve this exact problem by monitoring for the upstream network to go down, and then automatically reconfiguring itself to bring the network back up. It then checks for the network to return and reconnects to it.
Note that this only works for Wireless Gateway configs, not Wireless Bridge.
Whether it's worth upgrading to gain that function or not is up to you. It's not thoroughly tested, it seemed to work okay when i was writing it.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Blitzkrieg

Re: Wireless WAN requires reboot when internet drops

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Hi,

I have the same issue. i have a wrt3200acm with 1.12 firmware.
my internet suddenly drops and i cant open the interface. i need to restart the router and the internet will be okay.

i hope you can help me.

thank you