Accessing "allow legacy 802.11b rates" feature from OpenWRT

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

exee

Accessing "allow legacy 802.11b rates" feature from OpenWRT

Post by exee »

Hi,

My Roku devices have suddenly stopped working and while I 99% this is because they pushed a recent update (that I cannot get out of) I am hoping that Gargoyle can help me fix it.

It seems that on OpenWRT routers the new Roku update requires the user uncheck a box called "allow legacy 802.11b rates" which seems to stop the AP from transmitting under the B standard in the 2.4MHz band. In Gargoyle It seems my only options are B+G, B+G+N, or disabled. Is there a way to get the equivalent of G+N?

Thanks so much. I have been using Gargoyle for years and have bought router specifically that are compatible as it makes tuning my home network so easy. I am inclined to toss the Roku, but thought I might check my options.

exee

Re: Accessing "allow legacy 802.11b rates" feature from OpenWRT

Post by exee »

It seems I have answered my own question after a bit more digging, so for any other poor sap looking to answer this question.

-Enable SSH in the Gargoyle web interface
-SSH into your router user name root and your router password
-edit /etc/config/wireless adding option legacy_rates '0' to the appropriate wifi-device
-apply changes by /etc/init.d/network reload
-profit

Lantis

Re: Accessing "allow legacy 802.11b rates" feature from OpenWRT

Post by Lantis »

Looks like you're sorted.
As an extra note, OpenWrt have pushed a change to change this to disable legacy rates by default in their master branch.
This will flow down to Gargoyle in the future.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.