wan port on tp-link c5 very slow

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ActionHenk

wan port on tp-link c5 very slow

Post by ActionHenk »

Hi,

Ive got a tp-link c5, (wich i upgraded to a c7 with firmware, the c5 and c7 are internally the same)

I am running gargoyle 1.10 on it.

Since today we finally got 200/200mbit fiber so now i did some testing. The c5 its wanport is connected to the new fritzbox modem and i only got 60 mbit down and 40 mbit up at the tp-link c5.

I checked upt cables, changed utp cables, bringed the router close to the modem (fritzbox)

And nothing helped.

Then i thougt, lets give the tp-link c7 a factory reset, and then yes i have 200mbit up and 200mbit down!

So how is that possible? As soon as i reload the backup file into gargoyle, i get the slow 60mbit down 40 mbit up internet speeds again.

When i disable wifi, disable firewall, and so on, the speeds on the wan port start to increase it seems but never to the full 200/200 mbit

Ive got another tp-link wdr4300 v1 router with gargoyle v1.12, (its a seperate network so it has its wan port also connected to the fritzbox) and when i plug in on that router, i get a 160 mbit up and 160 mbit down without doing a factory reset.

I think next weekend i will test with differenth firmwares and
maybe start from scratch without loading a backup file.

I really would like to have the full 200/200mbit on my home network.

Why is this happening with my tp-link c5 router?

BTW i never noticed this because we had ADSL with 8 mbit down, 1 mbit up for like 20 years. Home network speeds always where the full 1000 mbit, so no problems there.

Thanks, Henk

Lantis

Re: wan port on tp-link c5 very slow

Post by Lantis »

What features are you using on the archer?
QoS and quotas are the main culprits which will significantly limit your WAN speed (because your device CPU is not fast enough).

You should get more than 60/40 though, which indicates perhaps some settings are not right.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ActionHenk

Post by ActionHenk »

Actually not using much features at all.

No qos, no quatas, no vpn, no dns, no web usage monitor, etc

I use a raspberry as dns server and a nas for features like vpn.

I do have a lot of dhcp static devices like 80 or so, mostly all IOT units like nodemcu's and other stuff.

But all those IOT things are blocked from the wanport in the firewall.

And the total wifi load is divided over the c5 and a WR1043N v2 wich i use as a accesspoint (wr1043n v2 has dhcp and all other stuff disabled, connected lan to lan)

Also disabling wifi on the c5 is not giving me the full 200/200 mbit, it gets a little better, like 90 mbit down, 90 up.

Only when i factory reset the c5, and plug in only my laptop i get 200/200 mbit speeds at the wan port.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Have you got "Enforce DHCP Assignments" ticked? Would be worth trying with that off as that will generate ~200 iptables rules for all traffic to traverse if you have that many static leases.

Similar case for the IOT WAN block. Worth trying with that off.

Combination of the above (one, the other, both) is worth an experiment as well.
I'm not saying you have to keep the settings that way forever, just trying to narrow down what is causing the biggest slowdown so i can look into it.
If you wanted to share your configs that might be useful as well, but mind you remove any passwords (e.g. pppoe, wifi, ddns etc)

Under the same conditions (exact same settings), the WDR4300 running better doesn't make much sense. It has a slower CPU. It does use a more memory efficient wifi driver but i doubt that would cause a significant difference.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ActionHenk

Post by ActionHenk »

Yes ive got enforce dhcp ticked, because of home domoticz, ive got all ip static
And the easyest way to make all ip static was in the router instead of setting all static ip in the devices itself.

I will try with firewall block off too.

I am at work now, but have a vpn connection inside my home network.

Have a mail where i can send the config file too?

Btw, i also have dnsmasq editted with winscp, i have set option 6 dns server, so that it broadcasts the pi its ip adres as a dns server on my network, but that isn't edit in the confog file, just so you know my dns settings are different.

ActionHenk

Post by ActionHenk »

Lantis wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:05 pm

Under the same conditions (exact same settings), the WDR4300 running better doesn't make much sense. It has a slower CPU. It does use a more memory efficient wifi driver but i doubt that would cause a significant difference.
No the wdr4300 is a very basic setyp, it only has a few conmected devices (6 or so)
and no firewall, static ip, or what so ever. Its a "guest" network.

But what i dont get is, my understanding was that the c5 or c7 should handle a load of 800 mbit at the wanport?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You can send it to support at lantisproject dot com if you like.

On stock firmware yes those devices are fully capable of that.
On third party firmware where nat acceleration is not possible? Not even close.

You can still make static IP assignments from the router, just try without using the "Enforce" option to see if it makes a big difference or not.

ActionHenk

Post by ActionHenk »

Oke thanks,

I mailed the config backup file to the email address suplied on that website.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Nothing stands out in the config.
Please try what i have suggested to narrow down the cause.

ActionHenk

Post by ActionHenk »

Oke i am at home now, and here are the test results,

I unchecked the "Enforce DHCP assignments" box and i did a couple of speedtests. I got 190mbit up and 150 mbit down, thats a whole lot better.

When i also unchecked the "firewall restrictions rules" box i get 204 mbit down and 170mbit up.

I did this testing while my family was using the internet so the results are great!

So wow! didn't think that would make such a different!

And luckely the firewall does not have that big impact, so i gues i can live with the little impact the firewall rules does.

Anyway, i always thougth that all the "Enforce DHCP assignments" box did was enable or disable the static ip function in the router.

Now i learned what it is for, if "Enforce DHCP assignments" is enabled only static ip's done by the router will get access to the wanport, static ip's done in the device itself and not in the router its static list will not get access to the wanport, right?

Thank you so much, i feel so stupid now.