Network connectivity monitoring

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

gwake

Network connectivity monitoring

Post by gwake »

Hello,

I'm experiencing intermittent disconnections throughout the day and I'm not sure if the culprit is my ISP or router. I'm experiencing the issues both in my wireless and wired connections, and they usually happen a few times an hour, for maybe 5-20 seconds each time.

Is there a way I can troubleshoot where the issue is coming from? I've looked at the basic log my modem has and don't see any errors popping up at the time of the issues -- but since they're only lasting seconds, I'm not sure if it's logging them. I haven't looked at the Gargoyle log during one of these issues, but I've confirmed that I can access the router during the downtime without issue.

I'm not very experienced in networking and these type of things, and any help is greatly appreciated!

BJReplay

Re: Network connectivity monitoring

Post by BJReplay »

I used PingPlotter (https://www.pingplotter.com/) to ping:
  • Router (e.g. 192.168.1.1)
  • ISP Assigned DNS Server
  • Google DNS (e.g. 8.8.8.8)
  • 1st Upstream Hop
  • Local CDN Host
when trying to prove repeated drop-outs.

Assuming your IP doesn't change that often and your first upstream hop changes less often, that could help identify where the problem is.

If you're running full OpenWRT (which you're presumably not since you're posting here), there are various logging options that include logging ping RTT which also helps (and doesn't require a PC running logging for you).

gwake

Re: Network connectivity monitoring

Post by gwake »

OK, i'll give that a shot. Thanks!