WNDR3700v4 Wireless Dropouts *UPDATE*

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

oliver

Re: WNDR3700v4 Wireless Dropouts *UPDATE*

Post by oliver »

I can't help on this but I have a similar problem on a WNDR3600 which I assume is similar to the 3700. Also running 1.12 and I, too, have enforced IPs (configured from connected hosts)

My problem is that my 2.4GHz wifi devices show as connected but they can't reach either the internet or the router. My workaround is to switch to the 5GHz network, log in and then reboot. Happens about once every 2 weeks or so.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

oliver wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:31 am
I can't help on this but I have a similar problem on a WNDR3600 which I assume is similar to the 3700. Also running 1.12 and I, too, have enforced IPs (configured from connected hosts)

My problem is that my 2.4GHz wifi devices show as connected but they can't reach either the internet or the router. My workaround is to switch to the 5GHz network, log in and then reboot. Happens about once every 2 weeks or so.
Have you tired a router reset yet?

oliver

Post by oliver »

ispyisail wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:00 pm
oliver wrote:

Have you tired a router reset yet?
Nope, and TBH, I can live with things as they are and will wait for the next upgrade. Just thought I'd mention it in case the OP thought it was his/her hardware. The symptoms sounded very familiar.

flip9

Post by flip9 »

oliver wrote:

Im also having this exact same issue with my WNDR3700v4 running 1.12

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Nope, and TBH, I can live with things as they are and will wait for the next upgrade. Just thought I'd mention it in case the OP thought it was his/her hardware. The symptoms sounded very familiar.
If the config is corrupt moving to the next version won't help.

If people upgrade using preserve setting or a back up file they will all get the same problems.

Do a fresh build without using a backup file or preserve setting

...if after that it still doesn't work then get back to us.

whataboutnow

Post by whataboutnow »

Just though I'd give a quick update, I was on the stock build of 1.12 and still getting dropouts with the wireless. Still able to restore it by issuing "wifi up" in the console but was looking for a longer-term fix. I couldn't get my head round the scripting to use ping watchdog so here's what I did:

Restored back to factory fw using tftp - just so that I was starting with a clean slate.

Then I installed your 1.12.x build (March 2020 I think) without restoring any backup.

Did my usual setup of vpn ddns etc.

Touch wood, it's only dropped the wireless once - my android devices showed authentication error - opened a console and issued "wifi down" then "wifi up"
and the wlan came straight back up and I was able to connect immediately.

So that's 1 drop in 3 days where as previously it was at least once a day. I can live with that for now :). Thanks for that build, and for the help 👍

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Your next step is to check the wifi channels

How many other devices are using the same channels, have you checked?

whataboutnow

Post by whataboutnow »

I'm on channel 11 but previously tried a few different channels (1,6,11 and 5) but still had the same issue. I usually have 3 devices connected via WiFi, and very occasionally another 2.

WiFi still hasn't dropped since my last post so I'm happy with that, if it does drop again, I'll capture my logs ASAP and post them here in case it's of any use.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

whataboutnow wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:08 pm
I'm on channel 11 but previously tried a few different channels (1,6,11 and 5) but still had the same issue. I usually have 3 devices connected via WiFi, and very occasionally another 2.

WiFi still hasn't dropped since my last post so I'm happy with that, if it does drop again, I'll capture my logs ASAP and post them here in case it's of any use.
How did you upgrade, just for interest?

whataboutnow

Post by whataboutnow »

I used this file: gargoyle_1.12.x-ar71xx-nand-wndr3700v4-ubi-factory.img

In the update page of the Netgear GUI, same way I've always done it. Previously I would update or change gargoyle firmwares in the Gargoyle GUI using the
sysupgrade.tar version.

There was no real reason to go back to the Netgear fw, I just thought starting at the very beginning might be a good idea to do everything clean and fresh with norestore etc.