WNDR3700v4 Wireless Dropouts *UPDATE*

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

whataboutnow

Re: WNDR3700v4 Wireless Dropouts *UPDATE*

Post by whataboutnow »

OK so my wifi dropped out again last night. It was in use at the time. I say that because I had considered if it was being caused by my devices sleeping and having no active connections. Went to my logs and there is nothing of any indication :(
The last activity was updates to ddns and immediately after those was the vpn session I started to issue the "wifi up" command from a console.

That worked as I expected; it came straight back up and I was able to connect straight away.

ektus

Post by ektus »

whataboutnow wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:52 am
Just though I'd give a quick update, I was on the stock build of 1.12 and still getting dropouts with the wireless. Still able to restore it by issuing "wifi up" in the console but was looking for a longer-term fix. I couldn't get my head round the scripting to use ping watchdog
There's no scripting involved as long as you have a client on WiFi that's always available. Enter that client's IP as the ping target in the watchdog, and (for older versions of the watchdog) issue command "wifi" if not reached, or (for recent versions of the watchdog) simply chose "restart wifi" from the list.

The command "wifi" alone is sufficient, no further parameter needed.

Regards
Ektus.

smf008

Post by smf008 »

Known issue. The latest thread on the openwrt forum is at the following path "/t/archer-c7-2-4-ghz-wireless-dies-in-24-48-hours/44163/72" [sorry, I don't have privileges to post URLs]. If you google the issues with ath9k, you'll see threads/posts going back years. Issue seem to be a timing issue within the driver. If the link is loaded too heavily, the timing of events is off.

whataboutnow

Post by whataboutnow »

Yeah I did see a few of those posts, it was late night when I was reading them and meant to go back to them but haven't yet, thanks for the info 👍

As it would happen, my wifi dropped again last night, there is really nothing in the logs of any indication - last thing before it dropped was my DDNS updates, followed immediately by my login to a console to issue "wifi-up".

I'll persevere for now but it always good to have more information.

Thanks again 👍

whataboutnow

Post by whataboutnow »

Just another quick update, I swapped to 20Mhz channel and set up a daily reboot schedule - so far so good, had no more dropouts so I'm happy to just leave it as is for now.

Thanks again 🙏

flip9

Post by flip9 »

Just an update...

So I changed routers to an Archer C5 v1 (QCA9880) and upgraded the firmware to Gargoyle v1.12

I am still experiencing 2.4ghz drop outs :cry:

I have maybe 2-3 devices on 2.4ghz band. Mainly devices that cant connect to 5ghz like my smart powerboard.

I also have Enforced DHCP addresses and DDNS running.

whataboutnow

Post by whataboutnow »

Just a little further update, sorry for the delay but as the cliche goes: no news is good news, right?!

Setting up a daily reboot schedule is what solved the problem, I have had zero dropouts since doing so, absolutely none.

If anyone else is having the same issue, give it a go.
I'm 99% sure it'll help. It doesn't address the root cause (an issue with the driver I believe) but doing so addresses the symptom effectively.

Good fast stable connection, ddns, vpn server, bells and whistles galore, very happy user :)

Thanks again for the help and suggestions, great community here and I'm glad to be part of it.