Cannot have just Wireless N and AES instead of legacy insecure standars?

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

theplagueisback

Cannot have just Wireless N and AES instead of legacy insecure standars?

Post by theplagueisback »

Loving the firmware but how come we can't use just wireless N with AES and instead we have to keep it backwards compatible with ancient standards like wireless B and G which forces uses to stick to TKIP as well?

I'm just wondering if these design decisions are still valid in 2020.

Lantis

Re: Cannot have just Wireless N and AES instead of legacy insecure standars?

Post by Lantis »

I don't believe you are correct, but please feel free to point me to some documentation or standards which say otherwise.

Gargoyle specifies the encryption as "psk2" or "psk-mixed" or "psk" depending on whether you select WPA2-Personal, WPA2/WPA-Personal or WPA respectively.
All of these settings by default select CCMP (AES). So we already are using AES and not TKIP.

Indeed, CCMP is mandatory for 802.11n transmission.
It is my understanding that while CCMP is not mandatory for 802.11b/g transmission, it is supported.
In fact, with the default settings, devices ONLY capable of TKIP will not be able to associate with the network at all, unless you explicitly allow this. And if you did, this would only use TKIP for those specific devices, and 802.11n transmission would be unaffected.
Yes, having a device limited to 54mbps on your network will definitely drag down the performance of the rest of the network, but it doesn't technically stop the higher speed transmission.

So, i don't think there's genuinely a problem here.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.