No internet

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

JV78

No internet

Post by JV78 »

I have an Archer C7 V2 with gargoyle 1.12 freshly installed.
Tonight, out of the blue, I couldn't acces the internet anymore from my laptop. The network connection worked fine, I could connect to the router with no problems.
If I switch to the network of my modem, all is well.
On my cellphone all worked fine, till switched from the gargoyle network to another and back.
A little background of my setup:Orange mode -> archer c7 v2 and a TPlink (RE200) extender connected to the C7.

Nothing helped, resetting the modem, resetting the router... Only after I've turned off enforce DHCP on the C7, all worked well again. Instantaneously. Any thoughts? I have the enforce DHCP turned off for now but I use the fixed IP addresses to prevent my youngest daughter to dwell the internet all night so I kinda need em.

ispyisail

Re: No internet

Post by ispyisail »

I think there is more to this story?

Can you sketch a quick network diagram?

Why do you need to "turned off enforce DHCP"

I block my kids with this is turned off, but....................

.........are your kids trying to bypass gargoyle.

.....also I would "Gargoyle reset/factory reset" then only turn on the bear minimum of features until the fault happens again to prove its not another feature casing the problem.

JV78

Post by JV78 »

https://www.lucidchart.com/documents/em ... 519644da28
The link above is my network.
I have a modem (Orange) who also has a wireless network, SSID is unique. This modem is connected to a pc in my music studio, who is powered off 90% of the time, to an inverter (SMA sunny boy) and to a switch in the living room. To this switch (D link 10/100) the C7 and decoder is connected. I would have connected the C7 directly to the modem is the cable would have been long enough.. :roll:
The tv is connected to the C7. The C7 emits a wireless network, again with an unique SSID. This picked up by several laptops, depending on who is at home (kids, boy/girlfriend) and several smartphones. There are also 3 IP cams, a printer, an airco and another pc (turned off mostly) connected to this SSID. A TP link RE200 extender picks up the signal and repeats it with yet another unique SSID. Any device can connect to this network. A smartplug from TP link is connected to this SSID.

You use MAC addresses to edit the restriction rules I presume?

None of the kids here knows anything about IT so I'm confident they aren't the problem. Most likely I myself have done something wrong.

One thing might be causing the problem:
On the C7 I have a fixed IP for my laptop,192.168.1.103. Yesterday, I was in the cellar with the laptop and it picked up the network of the extender which assigned it 192.168.1.100. After this shit begun. When I connected to the C7, my IP wouldn't change to 192.168.1.103 and all of the sudden all devices lost their connection to the internet.

I also see something strange when looking at the connected devices:
First one is my modem so that's cool. The following ones seem strange.

For the moment everything works. Tonight, when everyone's asleep, I'm turning on the DHCP assignments on again and see what happens.
My guess is there's something with the DHCP that causes problems.
I just noticed something, all of my assigned IP addresses are in the range of the DHCP server:
Image.
Could this cause the problem? It has always been like this but this was never an issue with the 1.10 version. I know the DHCP range should be separated from the static range, but as I said, this has never caused problems before... :oops:

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Thanks for the diagram
Could this cause the problem? It has always been like this but this was never an issue with the 1.10 version

How did you upgrade? (Preserve settings?)
You use MAC addresses to edit the restriction rules I presume?
yes
Only after I've turned off enforce DHCP
Do you understand how this feature works?

I thought it was a feature to block people (kids) bypassing restrictions. I thought it stopped sharing one IP address per many machines (which could be the case in the shown diagram?)

@Lantis do you know how it really works?

JV78

Post by JV78 »

How did you upgrade? (Preserve settings?)
Nope, as I understood this causes problems so I didn't. I used the sysupgrade file.
Do you understand how this feature works?
I think I get the basics. The DHCP from the router distributes IP addresses to all connected devices for a certain period, the DHCP lease time. Therefore it's best that the DHCP range and the static IP range don't mix. Which is not the case with my setup. I never gave it a second thought since all my devices had a fixed IP so there could be no conflicts. Now however it seems that the DHCP of the extender interferes with what the router is doing.
The extender shouldn't play DHCP server but it should let the router do this. I can't find a way to enforce this however.
As far as I see, no IP addresses were handed out to two different devices or more. But somehow two different IP addresses to the same device caused a problem.

Another strange thing: my smartphone is currently connected to the extender. In the interface I see this:
The MAC address corresponds with the one in my fixed IP table:
Image.
However, after I installed gargoyle 1.12 I saw a galaxya20e which was unaccounted for in our family. So I gave it an IP address and blocked it. I know for sure that it doesn't belong to anyone here because if their internet is blocked I would know within a split of a second.
But it's the MAC address that is strange:
The last six characters are exactly the same as my galaxy. This is strange since I have 35 connected devices and none have the last six characters in common.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Your static reservations should be outside the dynamic range to avoid trouble.
The way the enforce DHCP setting works is it creates a pair of rules.
1. If a packet arrives from IP X and it's MAC is not Y, drop it.
2. If a packet arrives from MAC X and it's IP is not Y, drop it.
When you first create static reservations, devices can take up to 24 hours to switch to the right IP. If you have the blocking rule enabled during this, you're going to have a headache.

Some devices randomize their MAC address for security/obscurity. Your phone might be doing this.
Otherwise, you have an unknown device and should change your password.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

JV78

Post by JV78 »

Allrighty, I have just changed the DHCP range to 192.168.1.10/99 so it's outside the static range and I've checked the "enforce DHCP..." box again. For now nothing has exploded and as far as I can see all devices have kept their IP from the 'DHCP enforce table', if I might call it that way.
I'm still looking how I can avoid that the extender hands out IP addresses but that should be possible I think.
Didn't know about the MAC address randomization. Learning something new makes the headache worth the while. Thanks! Hope stuff keeps working. I'll give it 24 hours so see how stable things stay.
I'm pretty sure it was my phone with a different MAC now. I've seen other devices act like this too.
Thanks!

pmerrill

Post by pmerrill »

I've had this happen twice now on the same model router C7 V2. It was working fine and then it stops. No wired connection, no wireless either. Power cycle did not work. I had the problem with V1.11 Nov-14 from Show/Tell/Contribute. Finally got connected via a wired laptop and upgraded to 1.12 stable.

That worked fine for 2-3 weeks no problems, on 24x7 and then today out of the blue, bang, it stops working again. It was kinda hot today in Sydney 35C, so now I'm thinking it maybe a hardware problem? Can't imagine it's a software problem after 3 weeks of perfect operation.
Paul
Gargoyle 1.11.x on TP-Link Archer C7 V2 H/W

pmerrill

Post by pmerrill »

Thanks to Lantis, I think that may have been my problem. I had overlapping static and dynamic reservations. I've now corrected the problem and we'll see how it goes. So far as good.
Paul
Gargoyle 1.11.x on TP-Link Archer C7 V2 H/W