LAN connection

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

jonheil

LAN connection

Post by jonheil »

I added a Netgear Extender to the Gargoyle router, connected to the LAN port, and I want to measure data usage, but it doesn't even appear to be a connected host. Is that only possible for wireless hosts?

ektus

Re: LAN connection

Post by ektus »

jonheil wrote:I added a Netgear Extender to the Gargoyle router, connected to the LAN port, and I want to measure data usage, but it doesn't even appear to be a connected host. Is that only possible for wireless hosts?
Does the extender use data by itself? I guess not, so the only data you will see is data of clients behind the extender, but Gargoyle doesn't know nor care which LAN port (or Wifi) they are using.

jonheil

Post by jonheil »

I'm not sure I follow you. The data used by clients on the extender is relevant to me because I'm on a metered network (data cap). I don't have any problem identifying and measuring data usage of clients connected to the gargoyle router wifi, but I want to do the same for clients using the extender. Does the LAN port just go straight through to the WAN without using the gargoyle firmware?

ektus

Post by ektus »

jonheil wrote:I'm not sure I follow you. The data used by clients on the extender is relevant to me because I'm on a metered network (data cap). I don't have any problem identifying and measuring data usage of clients connected to the gargoyle router wifi, but I want to do the same for clients using the extender. Does the LAN port just go straight through to the WAN without using the gargoyle firmware?
No, it doesn't. Gargoyle will show usage data on a per-client base that are transmitted through the WAN port, if it can identify the client. If the extender is transparent (like an ethernet switch), clients connected to the extender will get their address by DHCP from Gargoyle and will show up in the bandwith distribution table. The extender itself will be invisible. If you have set quotas, their usage will be shown on quota_usage.sh.

Do devices connected to the extender show in the "connected hosts" table in Gargoyle (as they should)?

If the extender does NAT, the clients behind the extender will be on a separate subnet, the extender will show up as a client of its own and all data of clients behind the extender will be shown as a single entry belonging to the extender.

jonheil

Post by jonheil »

Thanks for the reply. It looks like the clients connected to the extender appear as "connected hosts" just like they were connected directly to the Gargoyle router. Then I can set them up with a quota.