Don't get the maximum speed, even half of this.

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

EvertonSSJ4

Re: Don't get the maximum speed, even half of this.

Post by EvertonSSJ4 »

RomanHK wrote:Probably yes, today they buy new ones like AC (S) or AC (v2). All of these are supported by Gargoyle (AC, ACS, ACv2). Download Gargoyle here (many problems with 1.11.0 have been solved, build from @ispyisail): viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12085
I was asking for your OK, because it is a big investment, but if it (image attached in previous post) will support my tests (hitting 240MB speed) and accept the FW Gargoyle (being it V1), then you will buy today .
TP-Link TL-WR941ND
TP-Link Archer C7

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

To be calmer, it can be confirmed by someone who has it or "Moderator".
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

EvertonSSJ4

Post by EvertonSSJ4 »

RomanHK wrote:To be calmer, it can be confirmed by someone who has it or "Moderator".
Ok, let's wait for some user or admin who have the model to confirm my doubts. Just for information, my ISP Modem is this:
ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PC 1.5 Touchstone Residential Gateway
HW_REV: 4
VENDOR: ARRIS Group, Inc.
BOOTR: 2.2.0.45
SW_REV: 9.1.135_1692A_R18.2
MODEL: TG1692A

I do not know if this Modem is more powerful than my Archer C7, but in tests directly in ISP Modem the tests have results above 240 MB.
TP-Link TL-WR941ND
TP-Link Archer C7

EvertonSSJ4

Post by EvertonSSJ4 »

I think i have found the error / problem
@RomanHK and Moderators: @ispyisail @DoesItMatter @hnl_dk @BashfulBladder @tapper @Lantis:
https://i.imgur.com/VMf0fc4.png
When I activate the option Enforce DHCP assignments (in Connection - DHCP) where do I have some MACs and iPs, in the result of speed test I get way below 120MB, but if I disable this option, wharever the time i made the speed test, the resultes is alway above 200MB:
https://i.imgur.com/eY42qyu.png

I allready made some test when my PC MAC is not on that list and the result is the same. ie whether or not in this list the result will always be the same (below expectations when the list is active and above average when it is disabled).
Is this a question of Archer C7 capacity or some kind of Firmware bug / problem?
TP-Link TL-WR941ND
TP-Link Archer C7

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

As the firewall rules become more complicated or greater in number, the processing time increases and therefore the throughout decreases.

I'll check it, but I think there may not be much to be done.
The only mitigation might be ipset rules, but this isn't a dependency we force currently.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

EvertonSSJ4

Post by EvertonSSJ4 »

Lantis wrote:As the firewall rules become more complicated or greater in number, the processing time increases and therefore the throughout decreases.

I'll check it, but I think there may not be much to be done.
The only mitigation might be ipset rules, but this isn't a dependency we force currently.
The process I made to reach this conclusion was as follows:
I reset the equipment and redo the configuration, tested and backed up.
First redo the Port fowarding part, saved, tested and the speed was high, so I backed up.
I repeated the process activating the Wifi (2.4 and 5ghz), tested, all ok, repeated the process.
I put the allowed MAC list on Wifi, all ok too, same thing with the custom DNS list.
When I arrived at Connection and DHCP (where I like to attach the MAC to an IP and get the name of who that device is), after applying, saving and rebooting I realized the problem in testing. I did a first test where I removed my computer from the list and even then the speed was slow in the tests, so I turned off the option and boom returned to full speed.

Test with Enforce DHCP assignments OFF:
CPU Load:
https://i.imgur.com/Qbd2Xfu.png
Result:
https://i.imgur.com/gHzBcH9.png

Test with Enforce DHCP assignments ON:
CPU Load:
https://i.imgur.com/8wLQj1v.png
Result:
https://i.imgur.com/OxSJWgN.png
TP-Link TL-WR941ND
TP-Link Archer C7

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

I see it as a limit.
So now you have to choose. Either turn off certain features or buy a new router.

Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I have the same issue with my refurbished Archer C7 V5 running Gargoyle 1.12.0, attached to a refurbished Netgear (CM700) cable modem. I get 240+ Mbps from my ISP when tested without the Gargoyle router. The speed slows down significantly to less than half (avg = 105Mbps) with the Gargoyle router. My cable modem has 32 downstream & 8 uptream bonding channels...with a signal to noise ratio that averages 39.8 dB, which is in the upper excellent range. I followed your directions and still no improvement. My Gargoyle is configured as a wireless-bridge/ repeater. I tested it with most Gargoyle options off including turning off the WiFI with no improvement. I'm not getting the advertised speed that I'm paying for from my ISP when using Gargoyle with this router :oops: :evil: It is weird that it works for you and doesn't work for me despite the fact that we have similar router. :| :oops:

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

Ghost wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:36 pm
I have the same issue with my refurbished Archer C7 V5 running Gargoyle 1.12.0, attached to a refurbished Netgear (CM700) cable modem. I get 240+ Mbps from my ISP when tested without the Gargoyle router. The speed slows down significantly to less than half (avg = 105Mbps) with the Gargoyle router. My cable modem has 32 downstream & 8 uptream bonding channels...with a signal to noise ratio that averages 39.8 dB, which is in the upper excellent range. I followed your directions and still no improvement. My Gargoyle is configured as a wireless-bridge/ repeater. I tested it with most Gargoyle options off including turning off the WiFI with no improvement. I'm not getting the advertised speed that I'm paying for from my ISP when using Gargoyle with this router :oops: :evil: It is weird that it works for you and doesn't work for me despite the fact that we have similar router. :| :oops:
You don't miss the CPU. This is due to bandwidth and QoS measurements, which put a lot of strain on the CPU. Gargoyle excels in these features and therefore puts more strain on the CPU.

Hard to explain, for example, "it worked two years ago and not now ???" or if I have a switch 100Mbps and WiFi 300Mbps, they ask "why I only have 100Mbps, when the router is 300Mbps and on the box it's also ???" and declare that the manufacturer guarantees the speed of 300Mbps according to the certificate, which is also enclosed - in my opinion: misleading advertising. You never guarantee a speed of 300Mbps when you have a maximum WAN rate of 100Mbps. (but this is not your case).

Yes, under certain conditions the performance of the router is better, because the OEM firmware is tuned to the hardware and in many cases it is called the so-called NAT hardware, where the CPU is not much stressed. Both OpenWrt and Gargoyle use NAT software (OpenWrt - hardware NAT may have complications).

Believe me. As for Gargoyle - the 1x750MHz CPU (Archer C7 v5) is really low (for 250Mbps) today, even if you have a 1GB switch :( .

EvertonSSJ4

Post by EvertonSSJ4 »

Ghost wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:36 pm
I migrate to OpenWrt and the problem is over. I love the Gargoyle FW but because of this problem, I haved to “take a time without Gargoyle FW”.
TP-Link TL-WR941ND
TP-Link Archer C7