External WDS Connection on router with Gargoyle

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Blackbird

External WDS Connection on router with Gargoyle

Post by Blackbird »

I have TP-Link TL-WR1043ND v.1 with Gargoyle 1.10.0. It is main router with 4g-modem connected via USB port. It works pretty well. (status page in attachment)
On the other hand I have TP-Link Archer C5 v4 with stock firmware (installing Gargoyle on this device is very complicated; router has all features with original firmware; my 4G modem (Huawei E3372) couldn't not be detected by Archer, so I can't swap routers). I want to make a bridge between routers for range extension. WDS bridge is one of built-in features in Archer, and it works well – checked by bridging two android smartphones and Asus RT-N12.

However, after passing through bridging procedure (available SSIDs overview, taking the right one, entering the password, channel change approval), Archer refused to bridge 1043ND. I tried several settings, like activate DHCP on Archer (ranges overlapping / not overlapping) / use 1043s DHCP, Archer IP in/out of 1043s DHCP range, binding Archer's MAC to static IP on 1043ND, which corresponds to adjustment on Archer.
I can see Archer in list of active hosts, but it doesn't get an internet connection (neither wired nor wireless).
Any suggestion? Any extra info is needed?

Lantis

Re: External WDS Connection on router with Gargoyle

Post by Lantis »

Showing a picture of what settings are used to check your configuration would he useful.

And to clarify, you want a wireless bridge to extend range of your existing network?
Do you care about same subnet or not?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Lantis wrote:Showing a picture of what settings are used to check your configuration would he useful.

And to clarify, you want a wireless bridge to extend range of your existing network?
Do you care about same subnet or not?
Yes, I want to extend range of my existing network (but without a cable).
I don't care of the same subnet.
In attachment you'll find settings of both routers. I don't have English interface on Archer, therefore I had to make a translation. The key to names: 1043 has SSID1, Archer has SSID2.
I also want to suggest, that I can access web settings on both routers while being connected to one of this two wireless networks.
When Archer has a wireless client connected, I can see this in 1043's host list, IP-address is assigned (but still no internet connection).
Interesting fact: when I used WDS in back direction (Smartphone as AP →WDS→ Archer →WDS→ 1043ND), everything worked well (but I can't use this scheme now).

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You can't post attachments, please host them externally.
I'd suggest that using WDS probably won't work well as it isn't well implemented between models/manufacturers.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

After looking at your settings, a few notes:
1. You need to set Gargoyle wireless mode to "AP + WDS" if you want to use WDS on the archer to connect
2. Turn off "Enforce DHCP assignments" on Gargoyle when using WDS mode. They'll probably conflict.

The point still remains that interoperability between different types of devices and WDS is patchy at best.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Lantis wrote:After looking at your settings, a few notes:
1. You need to set Gargoyle wireless mode to "AP + WDS" if you want to use WDS on the archer to connect
2. Turn off "Enforce DHCP assignments" on Gargoyle when using WDS mode. They'll probably conflict.
Now it works, thank you very much for help!
It should be very simple to choose AP + WDS mode, but I've failed(
However, in opposite to your suggestion, I've disabled "Enforce DHCP assignments" setting.
Also, I've made a few restarts on both routers, and internet at least reached the second network.