Unexpected wifi connection from subnet

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ray999

Unexpected wifi connection from subnet

Post by ray999 »

Hi, This probably has a simple answer.

I setup a gargoyle router as a subnet to my main router. The gargoyle has a static ip and i set aside the 20 first ip in the main router for static ip. This is lan to wan. I turned on upnp and on gargoyle and put the static ip into DMZ on the main router. Setup a quota and limit the bandwidth. It all seems to work fine.

What I don't understand is why on my main router do I have a wifi connection to "gargoyle" on one of the dhcp ip? Is this normal? Have I done something wrong?

I hope someone can explain this to me.
Thanks Ray

Lantis

Re: Unexpected wifi connection from subnet

Post by Lantis »

Can you please provide pictures to describe what the problem is?
It's not entirely clear.

What it doesn't sound like is a Gargoyle problem, but let's see what we can find out.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ray999

Post by ray999 »

Thanks for the reply. Yes I thought it would sound a bit vague. Not sure how to attach pics.
The setup is this
Web===Modem/Router==Lan===Wan==Gargoyle Router==wifi devices
I have set the gargoyle router to 192.168.0.2 static(WAN address of gargoyle) and which is one of the Modem/Router static ip, dhcp starts at 192.168.0.21
Wan netmask 255.255.255.0
Wan Gateway 192.168.0.1 ....is this right?
Lan ip 192.168.1.1
Lan netmask 255.255.255.0
So all devices on gargoyle router go WAN to LAN on modem/router on 192.168.0.2
The thing is that I get a wifi device on the modem/router ip 192.168.0.28 called "gargoyle" which is the hostname I gave to the gargoyle router.
I hope that is a bit more clear.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Ok.
So all things sound like they are set up correctly.

If i had to guess, Gargoyle offered or took a DHCP lease before the static one was given, and now it won't release it.
Usually these types of sticky leases self-resolve in around 24 hours after the next time they are due for renewal.

Alternatively, i think if you powered down both devices, booted the modem/router first, then Gargoyle second, they might readdress the DHCP sooner.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ray999

Post by ray999 »

I might try the reboot. It could be as you say as when I set things up I was swapping ssid from the modem/router to the gargoyle. Just took be by surprise.
Thanks for your help.

ray999

Post by ray999 »

Just an update. Reboot did not do anything other than change the wifi ip address that gargoyle has got from the main router.
So it looks like the gargoyle router is asking for an ip on wifi ??? I did not expect this.
Any ideas?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Can you post pictures of your Gargoyle configuration please?
Host them externally (e.g. imgur) and link here.

This shouldn't happen unless Gargoyle is also authenticating over Wi-Fi, which it shouldn't be if it is a wired connection.

ray999

Post by ray999 »

Will do some screen shots. I have the gargoyle wireles mode set as Access Point (AP).

ray999

Post by ray999 »

An update. Looking at the main router logs I see this "not using configured address 192.168.0.2 because it was previously declined" after that a DHCP wifi address is assigned.
It looks like the lan and wifi share the same mac address in the gargoyle and that they are bridged.
Gargoyle is running on TPlink wr1043nd.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

That is correct, but it shouldn't be connected via both wifi and lan...