WiFi Bridge

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Re: WiFi Bridge

Post by Lantis »

You'll need to install on that one.
The easiest check is probably the presence of /etc/config/gargoyle_stamgr If you're already on WinSCP, but the plugin manager in the GUI is easier visually.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

guyso

Post by guyso »

Hi Lantis

I am still having a problem with this one. Sorry for the long post, I tried to get as much info in as possible.

I installed 1.12.0, all good. On checking the plug-ins, STA Manager was already installed. The plug-in tick box was grey and ticked, the button was labelled Uninstall and also greyed out and the status was Pre-Installed. I used WinSCP and found the gargoyle_stamgr file, contents follow.

config gargoyle_stamgr 'global'
option max_retry '3'
option max_wait '45'
option disconnect_quality_threshold '50'
option connect_quality_threshold '70'
option blacklist_timer '600'
option enabled '0'

Now using an ethernet cable between the router and my laptop I set up the router to connect to my mobile phone wireless hot spot. Then disconnected the cable and all worked as expected. I was able wirelessly access the router's wireless network on my laptop and access the internet via the router using my mobile phone hotspot. I was also able to logon to the router and access it's menus.

Now simulating moving the router to a new location with a new hot spot, I switched off the router and then my mobile phone hot spot. Next I switched on my wife's phone hot spot and then the router. No wireless network was transmitted from the router so I could not access the router on my laptop at all by wireless.

Next I switched on my mobile phone hot spot again, the first hot spot, immediately the router wireless hotspot reappeared.

A few points.

* I was not sure if the option enabled '0' setting in the config file was correct so I changed it to '1' and repeated the testing above. No change to outcomes.
* I also waited at least 15 minutes for the router to establish the network after switching it on, it did not help.
* I did a test using my mobile phone hot spot, which allowed the router to establish it's own wireless network. Then I switched off my phone hot spot without switching off the router. The router wireless network disappeared almost straight after my mobile phone network was gone, even though I had not touched the router.

The router still does not seem to transmit it's own wireless network after the wireless network it is connected to disappears. Hence after moving the router to a new location I can not access it wirelessly to reconnect it to a new network, which is what I need to do.

Any thoughts? Any thing I can try?
Netgear WNDR3700 v1 and v2 and v4
Linksys WRT1900ACS

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I'm surprised it is pre-installed, but no big deal.

Don't edit the config file by WinSCP, at least not until you are familiar with how the config file should be laid out. There's entire sections missing from the base config (i.e. it doesn't do anything) until you configure it correctly.
When configured, you will have 1 additional config section per access point.

Use the GUI (Connection->STA Manager) and configure it from there.
The basic gist is that you add both networks that you want to connect to, in priority order, to the list of APs.
Once you've used the GUI to set it up (and hopefully confirmed it works for you), re-inspect the config file and get a feel for how it works. :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I haven't documented how this plugin works yet and i do apologise.

The runtime status panel will light up red when disconnected, green when connected.
In the wireless access points section, the currently active config is highlighted yellow if not connected, and green if connected.
Any blacklisted configs are highlighted red indicating that they are not allowed to be currently connected to.