let gargoyle broadcast other dns server (pihole) on my network

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ActionHenk

let gargoyle broadcast other dns server (pihole) on my network

Post by ActionHenk »

Hi,

Is there a way to let gargoyle broadcast another dns server on my network instead of its own ip adres?

I have a pihole as dns server in my network, and have it listed as a custom dns server in my gargoyle router, this works great. However, gargoyle broadcasts its own gateway as dns server, so every dns resolve is going thruw the gargoyle router and then forwarded to my pihole.

So in my pihole, i see for every request the gargoyle router as the client, it would be nice to see from wich hosts the dns resolve is coming from.

I can ofcourse manually put the pihole dns server in every wifi and network host, but since i have like 200 hosts (mainly IOT) on my network that is not something i will like to do. Also i could let the pihole be the dhcp server, and deactivate the gargoyle dhcp server.

So my question again, can gargoyle broadcast another dns server on my network instead of its own dns server ip adres? Thanks

Lantis

Re: let gargoyle broadcast other dns server (pihole) on my network

Post by Lantis »

It’s not something you can do from the GUI, but you’re looking for “option 6”.
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/bas ... cp_options

Don’t tick “force clients to use dns” as that will break your dns entirely for your kind of setup (known bug, haven’t got to it yet)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ActionHenk

Post by ActionHenk »

Hi i already am running it!

I needed to connect with winscp to my router and edit the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file and put this line in it : dhcp-option=6,ipaddresofpihole.

It seems you can also edit this file: /etc/config/dhcp

But the first was working correct. I'm happy now, my router broadcasts the dns ip of my pihole to all my devices. So i can see in pihole wich ip adres is resolving instead of all querries coming from the router his ip.

Anyway thanks! really like gargoyle. Was running it for years on my 1043 v1 and 1043v2, both have been very stable over the years. Last week i bought a second hands archer c5 v1.2 for 15 euros wich i upgraded to a archer c7 v2.0 with a few commands in putty putted stock c7 v2.0 firmware on it and then flashed gargoyle on it (c5 1.2 and c7 v2.0 share the same hardware, and the c5 is limited by firmware)

Then again a question, now my archer c5 v1.2 did effectivly become a archer c7 v2.0, it doesnt give a 1350 mbit connection in gargoyle, however it did give a 1350 mbit connection when it was upgraded to the c7 v2.0 stock firmware. How come?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Making the change in /etc/config/dhcp will be more permanent. /etc/dnsmasq.conf is generated based on /etc/config/dhcp when the service is restarted. So i'd recommend making it in there as well, but whatever works for you.

1350mbps is not a supported data rate that i'm aware of. Did you mean 1300?
1300 is only possible on devices which connect at 80MHz bandwidth and utilise 3 spatial streams. There aren't many 3 spatial stream clients out there, so i suspect the stock firmware was being "generous" with its bandwidth estimate. It is much more likely you'll see 867mbps (2 spatial streams, 80MHz)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ActionHenk

Post by ActionHenk »

Yeah sorry, i meant 1300.

The Archer C7 is a 3 streaming device isn't it? I thougt that was the difference between the C5 and C7.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yes you are right. On closer inspection, the c5 is a 2 spatial stream device.
When you loaded the c7 firmware on, the GUI is probably designed to calculate based on 3 spatial streams (as this is what it expects the hardware to contain).

Gargoyle shows the true value.

ActionHenk

Post by ActionHenk »

Oke,

So how can i make gargoyle make use of the 3 antenna's on the archer c5 v1.2 like on the c7 v2.0?

Gargoyle says it's an archer c7 v2.0 so thats good.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Software doesn't change hardware.
I don't know if it is a software or hardware limitation.

If it is a software change, it is likely at the DTS level.
You'll need to do your own research for this one.

ActionHenk

Post by ActionHenk »

Oke, thank you for your time!

supermarkert

Post by supermarkert »

So, I'm looking to make the same config change to my Router (option 6 in the /etc/config/dhcp file) for the same reasons as OP, and was curious: what happens to the DNS settings already in the Basic lan settings page? Do they get ignored, overridden? Should I delete them?

Just want to make sure I've got the changes down before I jump into this hole. Thanks.