The right setup or configuration.

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

gargoyledoog

The right setup or configuration.

Post by gargoyledoog »

Hi. I have a small doubt.

This is the setup so far, I have a wr741n v4 with gargoyle 1.10 installed and running fine (main - ssid1 - all usual services), and a wr340g v3 stock (slave - ssid2 - no dhcp or anything - acting like an extender, firmware updated but no gargoyle for it, or even openwrt, or something better than stock, just so it becomes a lighter repeater or extender).

For the location, main feds the slave lan port to lan port (since I configure it do act like an extender). What I want to know is if my setup is correct and efficient, because for unknown reasons, the internet connection gets quite slow from time to time but I don't see any reboots or slow downs on the main, so I'm suspecting the slave may be overloaded.

Is a small residency were there may be a total of 15 devices connecting to the slave and some 2 or 3 to the main.

At first, could it be that the hardware is just not enough for all the workload? or is just misconfiguration on the slave?

I have a drawing of the setup but the board doesn't allow me to post it so I tried to explain myself as best as I could.

Lantis

Re: The right setup or configuration.

Post by Lantis »

The slave router may be struggling under the load.
Typically around 15 device is where you will start to see performance degradation on consumer grade routers.

Connecting LAN to LAN with DHCP disabled is the right way to do it.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

gargoyledoog

Post by gargoyledoog »

what about setting up both routers to have the same ssid (same or different channels), i know is not the way (just asking in my little knowledge), but would that create some sort of mesh that may lighten the load as clients would roam between ap's seamlessly?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

gargoyledoog wrote:what about setting up both routers to have the same ssid (same or different channels), i know is not the way (just asking in my little knowledge), but would that create some sort of mesh that may lighten the load as clients would roam between ap's seamlessly?
............is where you will start to see performance degradation on consumer grade routers.

In my opinion Its unlikely you will get the performance without spending money on the correct gear.

Cheap routers ain't going to cut it in a performance situation

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Clients don’t tend to “roam” as well as you might think.
They hang onto signals as much as they can.

Roaming is purely a client implementation. There are some AP side strategies to help, but in general, the roaming performance will be hit and miss.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

the roaming performance will be hit and miss.
Yeah

Unifi gear has "roaming" but with the tests i've done it only works with some clients. Had to turn the feature off.

gargoyledoog

Post by gargoyledoog »

Just as a measure, I used "elbow grease"...

A manual balancing act :lol: :lol: :lol:

Different passwords for each ssid, so each person connects only to the ssid close to it. :lol: :lol: No slow downs and everyone is happy :P