Guest networks connects, but the normal one won't

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

carverofchoice

Guest networks connects, but the normal one won't

Post by carverofchoice »

I Installed Gargoyle successfully on a Linksys WRT32X this weekend. Today the primary AP SSID's won't let anything connect to them, they keeps saying "Authentication error", but everything on the guest network works fine.

I have tried changing the SSID name, the password, encryption, the channels and EVERY other setting one by one and still nothing can connect to either the "AP 2.4GHz SSID" nor the "AP 5GHz SSID" no matter which settings I use and no matter which device I try to connect with, but everything can connect to the "Guest Network" just fine. What would be causing this weird issue so the AP doesn't work but the guest still does, and how do I fix it?

Lantis

Re: Guest networks connects, but the normal one won't

Post by Lantis »

I’ll look at this in a week.
The only troubleshooting that can be done is manually creating a second AP and seeing if that works.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

carverofchoice

Post by carverofchoice »

Thanks, by the way I did a reset on the router, putting all settings back to default.

I set all the settings back up and it is the same issue, namely, the AP 2.4 & AP 5GHz won't connect to any device (though they broadcast), but the guest network works fine.

How would I manually create a second AP?

Thanks for whenever you get around to looking at this, I'll just have to try to work everything through the guest network for now (though I'd prefer in the future to leave that just for wireless isolation needs...I share the network with my tenants...).

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I would look at it sooner but I am overseas. I just happen to have wifi right now and had a read of the forum.

You can create a second AP by editing /etc/config/wireless and copying the wifi-iface section and creating a new one with a new name, new SSID and new password. Other settings can stay the same. Save the file and then issue a “wifi” command at the command prompt to reread the config file.
This won’t offer the same level of guest isolation though, but that is where I predict the issue is occurring anyway.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

Maybe it will be a nonstandard font (characters, diacritics, spaces ...) :?:

1) See if the file information matches: /etc/config/wireless (ssid, encryption, key).
2) Try changing the SSID via GUI to "Gargoyle" and try to connect
3) Try changing the Password via GUI to "password" and try to connect

Maybe it's diacritic and other characters, I have the only explanation for why it wouldn't work.
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I can confirm the issue and understand the root cause.
Will work on a fix soon.

This problem only affects the WRT3200ACM and WRT32X.

carverofchoice

Post by carverofchoice »

Thank you so much for looking into this.

The exact same settings worked fine on the netgear router I had before, but wouldn't work on my WRT32X so I was pretty confident it was either #1 a defective router (but then why would the guest network still broadcast fine?), or #2 something in the firmware for this model that could be fixed, but I am not familiar enough with this area to figure out the exact cause myself.

Thanks again, I'll check back every periodically to see what you come up with for resolving the issue.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The fix is available here:
https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargoyle/pull/813

I'll likely merge this in later in the week.
Due to the nature of the fix and its complexity, i've asked for someone else to cast an eye over it as well just to make sure we aren't creating any regressions in other devices.

In the meantime, you can apply it manually if you like as it only requires replacing a single file so should be quite straight forward.

carverofchoice

Post by carverofchoice »

Thanks for your help Lantis. TWO Questions.

Firstly, I see the fixed code...I am pretty tech savy, and know some programming, etc, but I am pretty new when it comes to firmware access and installing/replacing code on firmware/router.
Can you confirm that I just download the gargoyle_1.11.0-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys-wrt32x-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin and put the updated basic.js over the top of the one in the bin at this location: root~\www\js and then use the sysupgrade bin file to update the firmware that way?

Secondly, ever since I switched from the Netgear router to the WRT32X, I have not been able to access the Gargoyle GUI through Wifi (like I could on the netgear), I can now only access the GUI through a direct ethernet cord. Is this related? I tried using the same settings and altering them, but to no avail, and I wonder if this is related in some way?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Even easier than that because this change is “minimal”.
You can just connect to your routers file system directly and replace the file in situ.
Connection instructions are here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8505
Section on logging into the file system.
Hopefully things are self explanatory from there, but if you need to clarify anything just ask.

Not being able to access the GUI over wifi isn’t normal.
It could easily be caused by the bad guest settings behaviour, so I’d like to see if that fixes it. If not we’ll explore deeper.