Guest networks connects, but the normal one won't

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Rog66

Re: Guest networks connects, but the normal one won't

Post by Rog66 »

Lantis - got this to work once on my WRT32X (although "guest" didn't appear in the wireless client list band). But once I deleted and readded a guest network it started putting a mac address in the hostapd.conf file that was missing the last digit so the 2.4GHz radio never came up - could be I just dont know what Im doing copying and pasting from GitHub but it worked the first time round.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Are you able to trigger the issue reliably? I turned it on and off repeatedly during testing and never lost a digit.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

carverofchoice

Post by carverofchoice »

It is still not working for me.

I logged in with winSCP, and found basic.js in two locations:

/www/js/basic.js
/rom/www/js/basic.js

I was easily able to update /www/js/basic.js with the new code (I tried copy and pasting the new code with the updates over the previous code and then saving, and a second time I tried copying a basic.js with the new code in it over the top of the previous basic.js). I rebooted the router multiple times (through the GUI, and hard reboot) and the main AP won't let me connect to it at all. I changed the AP names to test them individually, but they still won't connect, for me.

I did not change the /rom/www/js/basic.js, because it is read only memory, and wouldn't let me change anything anyway even when I did try. Even after rebooting, etc this one is still showing the "old version" of basic.js, so I am assuming my issue has to do with this, but it won't allow me to modify it at all because it is read only. It says "owner" has r/w access (not others), and I did log in with root access and the admin password, but I can't figure out how to fix this.

Did I neglect doing something procedurally? Do I need to update the rom file somehow?

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

carverofchoice wrote:It is still not working for me.

I logged in with winSCP, and found basic.js in two locations:

/www/js/basic.js
/rom/www/js/basic.js

I was easily able to update /www/js/basic.js with the new code (I tried copy and pasting the new code with the updates over the previous code and then saving, and a second time I tried copying a basic.js with the new code in it over the top of the previous basic.js). I rebooted the router multiple times (through the GUI, and hard reboot) and the main AP won't let me connect to it at all. I changed the AP names to test them individually, but they still won't connect, for me.

I did not change the /rom/www/js/basic.js, because it is read only memory, and wouldn't let me change anything anyway even when I did try. Even after rebooting, etc this one is still showing the "old version" of basic.js, so I am assuming my issue has to do with this, but it won't allow me to modify it at all because it is read only. It says "owner" has r/w access (not others), and I did log in with root access and the admin password, but I can't figure out how to fix this.

Did I neglect doing something procedurally? Do I need to update the rom file somehow?
The directory /rom is the default Gargoyle (OpenWrt) firmware directory and is read-only - that's right.

To make the changes take effect, you must delete the /etc/config/wireless file and reboot the router, then go through the WiFi settings again.
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

Rog66

Post by Rog66 »

Yes - just ran firstboot and then set everything up from scratch. When you delete and recreate the guest network it puts an option macaddr line in the wireless config file that is missing the last digit of the macaddr. If I delete that line and restart the wifi it works fine. The line doesn't appear until I delete and then recreate the guest network.

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

Rog66 wrote:Yes - just ran firstboot and then set everything up from scratch. When you delete and recreate the guest network it puts an option macaddr line in the wireless config file that is missing the last digit of the macaddr. If I delete that line and restart the wifi it works fine. The line doesn't appear until I delete and then recreate the guest network.
firstboot I wouldn't do, firstboot will also delete the modified file /www/js/basic.js - just delete /etc/config/wireless and restart the router - this will create a new wireless file.
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Rog66 wrote:Yes - just ran firstboot and then set everything up from scratch. When you delete and recreate the guest network it puts an option macaddr line in the wireless config file that is missing the last digit of the macaddr. If I delete that line and restart the wifi it works fine. The line doesn't appear until I delete and then recreate the guest network.
Can you please post (or pm if you’d prefer) your default wifi interface Mac addresses? iwinfo is probably the easiest way to display them all at once.
My only suspicion is if your MAC ends in a “0”... I might need to force it to return 2 digits... not sure.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Please follow Roman’s advice.
If it’s still not working can you please post the output of “cat /etc/config/wireless”?
Before posting it, make sure to remove or hide any passwords and your SSIDs I’d they are important to you.

Rog66

Post by Rog66 »

It ends 08 = think it’d dropping the leading zero. If it’s doing this in all positions this might be why others are having issues.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Thanks. The more I think about it, the more I think I missed that scenario.
My interfaces end in 50, 51 and 52 (which the upstream developer has assured me that Marvell would never do such a thing and that they should always end in 00 or 08... but here we are).
Will investigate tonight and post an update.