Massive speed loss

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

romain

Massive speed loss

Post by romain »

Hi guys,

I've been a gargoyle user for several years without issues. Thanks for all the time the contributors put into it.

I am using gargoyle on top of an archer c7 v2.

My apartment recently got fiber to the home.
- cat6 cable straight to ISP box with known good, short cat6 cable and a laptop give me 900Mbits down and 200 up. Getting similar results on different local bandwidth test sites.

- same cat6 cable / laptop connected to the router (nothing else, wifi radio off). router connected to ISP box with also known good, short cat6 cable : only getting 200Mbits repeatable down, approx 150 up.

These are already decent speeds but wondering what is causing such a drop in speed.

Should i change this router to a newer one ? a gargoyle config i should look at ? I would have assumed that the router WAN port would be capable or routing the upstream ISP box speed
to the clients but apparently not.

Would appreciate any feedback!
Thanks,
Romain

ispyisail

Re: Massive speed loss

Post by ispyisail »

Its a known problem

Its a CPU bottle neck.

So it depends on your CPU size and features enabled on Gargoyle

Current choices are

* Linksys WRT AC Series
* x86 builds

I'm not sure the Linksys will get full speed with your link (depending on features enables) my guess is around 500mbps?

x86 is still very new

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/how-to-inst ... -x86/14601

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

On the WRT1900ACv1 I tested last month I could route 800mbps without QoS.
QoS will drop this significantly.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

romain

Post by romain »

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, i was not notified of your replies and totally forgot about this.

Thanks for the very useful info!
I will look at upgrading my router over the holidays then.
Maybe with the latest gen i will be able to expand the reach and get rid of an extender i have in my home office.

I am not using QoS at all so no issues there.

Cheers!

romain

Post by romain »

I might go for the 3200ACM then to have more CPU power to handle the bandwidth.

It's not significantly more expensive than the 1900.

Or do you think there are routers are the corner that are worth waiting for a bit ?

Thanks.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

There will always be “the next router”. Trying to stay on the front foot with technology is an expensive game.

With open source firmware, you’re better off picking the “mature” device anyway as it has had time to become stable and fully supported.

I personally run the WRT32X (same as the 3200ACM) and think it’s great
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

romain

Post by romain »

Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it !

Any reason you went for the 32X instead of the 3200 ?

As far as I understand it's the exact same hardware, only a different firmware.
This should not make any difference since the firmware is flashed with Gargoyle, right ?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Purely a regional circumstance.
I received a 3200 from Linksys so I could make sure Gargoyle supported it, but it was the US model. Wrong power plug and channels/tx powers were locked to the US levels. It was never officially sold in AU.

The WRT32X was :)

romain

Post by romain »

Thanks!
Looks like the 32x is only 5€ more than the 3200 here so I might decide on the "look" of the router then :)

Any specific things to watch out for when flashing gargoyle on that router ?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

No catches that I’m aware of.

Much like the rest of the WRT family, they’re easy to recover, and if it all goes horribly wrong, the serial header is easy to access and prepopulated.