VPN Server

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

MickO

VPN Server

Post by MickO »

Excuse a stupid question.
If I run a VPN server, do I get the use of normal access and VPN access, or is the router completely bound to VPN only access to LAN equipment?
Can I dedicate a Network port to VPN, and the rest Non VPN or are they all bound to VPN use?
What I want to do, is come in on a VPN from WAN, out through a Network port, back into another Network port, through to WAN replacing incoming ip address source with local WAN ip address to fool Geo based services that the request is local. Hope you get my drift. So how's it done?

ispyisail

Re: VPN Server

Post by ispyisail »

do I get the use of normal access
yes

The LAN behind the "VPN server" depending on how it is configured may be able to reach VPN clients but other than that everything behaves as per normal.

The VPN client is very different. There are much more options

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The second part of your question is just a setting when generating the client config.
Clients use VPN for:
1. All traffic
Or
2. Only traffic destined for LAN hosts

Setting to 1 will achieve what you want.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

MickO

Post by MickO »

Ah, OK. Sounds good. trying to watch UK TV streams whilst out the country but not in UK/EU area. so Geo blocked. Have tried Winscribe VPN, which is great with the 10GB monthly free allowance, but VPN blocked by iplayer. TVcatchup works OK, but i'm struggling with buffering due to, no doubt, congestion and slow ADSL speeds where I am.

So, my take on what you say, is that I can config the VPN server to take VPN traffic from WAN and bind it to a physical network port, through to a Network switch for distribution to protected services, such a server. Non VPN traffic from WAN works as normal with unbound Network ports. So all I have to do, is run the OpenVPN client on my laptop, through the VPN at home, and back out non VPN to desired service.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Typically you don’t bind to a specific port, rather to the LAN interface (all ports). If you want to be more specific than that, that would be manual setup.
I don’t think this is required to achieve what you are after.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Eric (Project owner) in the past has shown a disapproval to any posts with possible illegal activity.

Not sure what his thoughts are on geo blocking?