Issue with Connecting Through a Seperate Wifi Network

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

tals

Issue with Connecting Through a Seperate Wifi Network

Post by tals »

Using 1.10.0 - Router 3700 v4
Set up the gargoyle router to connect via Wireless (DHCP)
SSID to join -> check connected and test going to the internet through the router -> wireless

Now turn off the Wireless you are joining to. I used a mobile hotspot to test

You won't be able to see your gargoyle router on wireless any more and devices connected to it via wireless will no longer see the network (although they will be connected)

Is this expected behaviour - were older versions more resilient. I am using Gargoyle ability for a sports club but it concerns me that if the wireless they are joining to wasn't available they will lose the network and technically they may not be able to handle that occuring

Also tested against 1.8.1 and same behaviour. Not sure if it is worth trying 1.7.x which is the earliest this router can handle
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

Lantis

Re: Issue with Connecting Through a Seperate Wifi Network

Post by Lantis »

This is expected behaviour (although I agree, not “good” behaviour).
The issue is that the wireless driver goes into a permanent search mode attempting to reconnect to the upstream AP and therefore can’t broadcast its own AP.

The behaviour is the same in Openwrt.

The only way to handle this is with a bit of clever scripting.
Essentially you need to use the watchdog plugin to check for the upstream AP or internet going down, and in this instance, trigger a script.
This script should replace the wireless configuration with one that only broadcasts an AP (no upstream connection). This allows access to the router to check what went wrong.
You could also then run another script to check for the upstream network reappearing and restore the original configuration.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tals

Post by tals »

Thank you.

In terms of plugins and scripts, that sounds beyond my skills and I'm assuming what I am doing is probably quite unusual so unlikely others will code this so just something they need to be aware of.
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It is something I want to deal with eventually, but it is specific use case as you say.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.