Poor Wifi Performance on Device - 1.10

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

DJ Lushious

Poor Wifi Performance on Device - 1.10

Post by DJ Lushious »

Router: WRT1900AC v1
Device: Intel Compute Stick STK1AW32SC, ~1 foot away from the router
Wireless: 5GHz, channel 149

I thought I might be going crazy, so I've swapped back and forth between Gargoyle and Linksys' stock firmware, but this device's wifi is plagued with problems with Gargoyle. I'm getting a lot of dropped packets, timeouts, and a heavy-duty task like TeamViewer becomes practically unusable.

What else can I do to further troubleshoot or gather more information? I've done ping tests, of course, but I'm SSH'd into the box now and I'm seeing tons of connection timeouts from a simple repository update.

This is the only computer I have in the network on wifi. The other wifi-connected devices are a Vizio TV, an android tablet, and my iPhone 6S+. I've not had any issues streaming Netflix.

Another curious thing, is I cannot get the Intel Compute Stick to connect to my 2.4 GHz network. Again, these issues have only cropped up since flashing to Gargoyle; everything is copacetic with Linksys's firmware.

ispyisail

Re: Poor Wifi Performance on Device - 1.10

Post by ispyisail »

From my understanding 1.10.0 wifi drivers are buggy for that router.

we are testing 1.11.x now

DJ Lushious

Post by DJ Lushious »

ispyisail wrote:From my understanding 1.10.0 wifi drivers are buggy for that router.
Would I be better off flashing to 1.09?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I don't have a WRT1900AC v1 but from my understanding wifi drivers have always been a problem?

If you are brave and you know how to unbrick your router etc etc try this link

(Its for advanced uses at this stage, untill we get good reports)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11681

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

That device has wifi drivers that have been under development for 3 years. They’re finally hitting maturity (although still with bugs). Their performance has generally only moved forward, and I suggest that you should only move forward with your firmware as well.

I can see a specific complaint about performance with your Intel wireless chip, however it was not able to be substantially proven and was solved by repositioning of the router and client. I’m not saying your problem doesn’t exist and isn’t real, but this is the report upstream.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

DJ Lushious

Post by DJ Lushious »

Lantis wrote:I can see a specific complaint about performance with your Intel wireless chip, however it was not able to be substantially proven and was solved by repositioning of the router and client. I’m not saying your problem doesn’t exist and isn’t real, but this is the report upstream.
I'm certainly not ruling this out, especially considering I'm using Ubuntu drivers and not Windows'. I went out and got a USB NIC and am ready to jump back into running Gargoyle. What, if anything, could I do to further test the wifi performance (on Win10) once re-flashed?

Also, what is the logic behind only allowing one shared password between 2.4 and 5GHz wireless networks? Not saying anything is wrong with the decision, but it's a bit against the grain and I'm sure there was/is a very valid reason as to why it's this way.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Providing only a single Avenue for the wireless to be compromised rather than two if I remember correctly.

You can change that yourself, but if will revert anytime you change settings on Connection -> Basic.

As for testing your current issue I’m not sure to be honest. Even if you did identify a problem, unless it is Gargoyle specific I probably can’t do much to fix it.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

encro

Post by encro »

Ignoring driver issues for a second…

On Channel 149 you're in the UNII-3 band set in which higher frequencies tend to be used by radar, weather stations, and the military etc. You may be better to choose something in the UNII-1 domestic range (36, 40, 44, 48).

Are you also using wideband channels (40 MHz)?

If so, make sure if using the lowest channel of each range then you are setting it to '40 Mhz above' and the direct opposite when choosing the highest channel from each set. Since 149 is the start of the UNII-3 range you would need to select '40 MHz Above', Mid range channels can be either. 162 (The highest of UNII-3) should be set to '40 MHz below etc. Setting this incorrectly causes instability and wireless disconnects.

If you've got a WiFi Analyzer on your mobile phone, check what is using the surrounding channels.
Last edited by encro on Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Netgear WNDR3700v4 (N600) - Gargoyle 1.14.x
D-Link DIR-835 - Gargoyle 1.7.1 (Deceased)
Manual set up for PIA's OpenVPN in (Private Internet Access): https://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9129&p=45410#p45410

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

+1