Wireless DHCP, gargoyle pocket router inaccessible

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

sunbrilo

Wireless DHCP, gargoyle pocket router inaccessible

Post by sunbrilo »

I am extremely novice, so apologies for being an idiot and, perhaps, posting to the wrong forum.

I just purchased a Gargoyle Pocket Router v3 (called below GPRv3). I did a standard set up, Wired DHCP, connected to my Hughesnet HT2000 satellite modem. All was well.

BTW, the HT2000 includes a wireless router, but the usage management software is not as full-featured as OpenWrt, so I wanted to hang the GPRv3 off it and have people here connect to the GPRv3 rather than directly to the satellite. The GPRv3 would let me limit each user to a fair share of the limited bandwidth supplied by the satellite connection.

Among the OpenWrt configuration options was one for DHCP Wireless. I thought that this would allow the GPRv3 to access DHCP services without needing to connect to the HT2000 via a cable. So, I selected the option and added information needed to connect wirelessly to the HT2000. After saving that information, the GPRv3 seemed to disappear from the list of available wireless routers seen from my PC.

I tried pressing the reset button on the GPRv3, hoping to restore it to its factory settings, but to no avail. Cutting the power also seemed ineffective.

I have sought for instructions on how to reset the GPRv3, but the procedures I found seemed to assume I could connect via telnet to the GPRv3 using the address 192.168.2.1. However, telnet was unable to connect to that remote host (it said). Also, all packets in a ping to 192.168.2.1 were dropped.

So, I would like advice on how to reset the GPRv3 and on what I misunderstood about Wireless DHCP. If my original understanding was not mistaken (but I made some sort of typo in the password, that is fixable if I can restore the GPRv3 to its factory state). This Wireless DHCP sounds like it would let me relocate the GPRv3 to a location more convenient than just a cable length from the satellite modem.

Lantis

Re: Wireless DHCP, gargoyle pocket router inaccessible

Post by Lantis »

What version of Gargoyle are you running.
If you are on 1.10.0 or later you must use SSH to reset. Otherwise Telnet is correct.
The correct address is 192.168.1.1 after placing it into failsafe mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NqHpRHl8gQ

With DHCP wireless, the network you were rebroadcasting for your clients. Was it occupying the same band as the one you were connecting to? If so, if it is unable to establish a link to the upstream AP, the client network won’t come online.
When changing configuration like this, you should be doing it over wired connection in case of similar problems.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.